Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 installation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mekkins

MIS
Feb 6, 2003
US
I have twelve Dell Optiplex GX110 systems that were originally loaded with Windows 98 but I would like to load Windows 2000. Win2k finishes loading but on the first bootup after installation, it hangs up. I booted into safe mode and looked in Device Manager and noticed that, in addition to the network card, there are four additional entries listed under network adapters: Direct Parallel and 3 different WAN Miniport entries. I tried loading Win2k on two of the other Dells and had the same results. Windows XP will install and run on these systems (the Direct Parallel and WAN Miniport entries do not show up in Device Manager with XP), but it runs slower than I'd like. I've tried updating the BIOS and the network card driver (from within safe mode) - no luck. On the Internet, I've seen where other people have had this problem but I've found no solutions that work. Any ideas on how to get Windows 2000 to load successfully on these machines? The only difference between these computers and others I've loaded is these are puny SFF computers. I don't know why that would be a problem, but I've never had any trouble loading tower or desktop systems.

Look in BIOS or on the case and get the express code or the service tag number, go to the Dell support sight and download drivers. I'm taking a really wild guess here, but it sounds like Windows thinks your USB ports are the WAN Miniport devices for some reason. If you can reflash the BIOS with Dell's updates, I think that will fix it. The direct parallel doesn't seem to have affected my computers here or users, it's probably used for the Windows "Direct Cable Connection" utility. Good luck, doesn't sound like any fun.

Iolair MacWalter

I've already updated the BIOS but I'll try turning off the USB controller in BIOS and see what happens.

Got it fixed. I emailed Dell technical support before I posted here, just to see what they had to say, and they suggested removing the add-on video card. (These systems came with integrated video and a separate PCI card.) I don't know why the add-on card would cause the WAN Miniport entries in Device Manager, but they are gone now and the system is booting into Windows. Weird. Thanks for taking the time to offer assistance Iolair.

You're welcome. Glad Dell was able to help you.

Iolair MacWalter

The WAN miniport drivers have nothing to do with video. Believe me. And they are best left alone by the way.

The WAN miniport is a "virtual" adapter that uses your physical network adapter or modem to provide special services such as an PPoE service stack, a PPTP tunnelling protocol stack, etc.

It adds special case network functionality and presents it as if it where a physical network adapter with the functionality built in.

If you somehow managed to remove the entries, XP would simply replace them immediately.

I suspect strongly that they had nothing whatsoever to do with your issue on the upgrade.

That may well be (that the WAN miniport drivers have nothing to with video) but if I leave the add-on video card inside the system, I get WAN miniport entries in Device Manager and the system won't boot except into safe mode. If I take the add-on card out and go with the onboard video, the system boots normally and there are no WAN miniport drivers loaded. Make of that what you will.

When you card not in your system and your comp loads with no problem and you are not seeing any WAN Miniports in Device Manager click on view up top and select "Show Hidden Devices". and there you will have you Virtual Devices. WHen you load up in Safe mode you see all of your devices even your hidden virtual devices. However when you boot up normal this is not the case as you will find out. The reason your computer would not load is because the drivers for your add on card and the integrated video were conflicting. Go into bios and disable your on board video and you should be able to start up with you Add on PCI Graphics card.

motoxxx1389,

Indeed. I would be more worried if the miniport drivers were gone completely.

I suspect a pure conflict of some kind with the add-on video board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back