Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Installation Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnmmurphy

IS-IT--Management
Sep 15, 2003
GB
I decided to change the operating system on one of my older PCs from NT4 to 2000 pro. Bluescreen Setup ran fine as did the drive format etc. When it reached the point in setup where it displays the Windows 2000 logo screen (ie just before you enter specific settings) it loaded halfway then bluescreened with a STOP: error. INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. I attempted the setup again from scratch and same thing happened. I then updated the BIOS to the lates version and same thing happened. I tried then to reinstall NT4. It installed without a hitch. I tried then to install 2000 over NT4 but got same STOP: error. Any ideas as this one is extremely annoying. I know that a INNACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error means that windows cannot either find a device to boot from or the Hard drive is faulty. But how can NT4 install without any problems and 2000 not? I also ran fdisk /mbr from a windows 98 boot disk. That did not work so I then loaded windows 2000 recovery console and ran FIXMBR and that did not work. Any help greatly appreciated.

John

Most probably you have an issue with your hard drive device drivers. In that Win 2k does not support your hard drive controller. A little research into your motherboard (at the manufacturer’s web site) might turn up device drivers for you to supply during installation of Win 2k.

Just because NT and 2K share a lot of code, don’t assume that everything else is the same. In particular device drivers changed a lot between NT and 2K.

Did you check to see if your Mainboard and Disk Drive are compatible. GO to this site this will give you a list of compatible hardware. If your Mainboard is not listed your IDE/SCSI controller may not be supported. You will then need to go to your MB's support site to download proper drivers if they have them. I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back