Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 install issue with new and old hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaus

Programmer
Feb 5, 2001
US
Hi all,
A strange thing happened. I installed a Cd Burner and a new HD for a relative, along with Windows 2000. their old HD was running Win98 and was out of room (tiny little 4.3G), ANyway, I disconnected the old drive, installed the OS, adjusted a few settings, ensured all was working, than changed the jumper settings on both drives, so the new drive was primary master, and the old one the primary slave.
Then I connected the old drive, that used to be their C drive. Win2k showed a message, new hdwe detected and that was it. I went into Explore and saw it there as drive E.
All was well until I got a call today. They wanted the old drive in there mainly to copy some old data files, docs, pictures, etc, to the new drive. Well, the pictures were all under my docs (default, of course), but she got a message saying this had been replaced or removed, when trying to access them on the E drive (old HD). She cannot find the pics anywhere. Any ideas on what happened and where they are? Nothing unusual happened at all - no prompts, or errors of any kind while booting up for the first time with the old HD in the mix as slave.
Thanks!
Gary

Are you sure that they looked in the right place?

Under Windows2000, "My Documents" are actually located under:

C:\Documents and Settings\YourName\My Documents

And under Win9x they are located in C:\Windows|Profiles\username

I'm sure. It says it has been removed or replaced...

Did they use any third-party software, like Kodak or something that came with the camera?

Some of these install essentially a proprietary database of index and even formats that would require you to re-install the third-party software to have access to the older filestores.

I know the Kodak "Easy" whatever software would require this, and some special steps to force a rebuild of the database between the older filestore and the new one.

Yup - I'm sure. It says the folder has been removed or replaced, which is why she began searching both drives. It's like Windows originally saw 2 C drives (current win2k - primary master) and the old drive (primary slave) upon bootup, changed the old drive to drive E, but did something to that folder in the process. There were no messages upon connecting the old drive and booting up, other than detecting new hardware'.

That's a good question, but she said they were saved as normal JPEG files, and now she cannot find any of them. It's weird. I can ask about the software, but she said she used to see them as individual files under My Pictures, when she tries to get to My Documents under E (the old C), that is when it says this folder has been removed or replaced. It's bizarre - it's Windows!

Yup - I had her search My Computer for JPEG, JPG, and GIF...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back