Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000/IIS and Cisco Router - Need Help !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pedromsf

IS-IT--Management
Apr 23, 2002
US
Hi there.

I had a IIS web server which as always worked through my router (which has an extended access-list configured to allow http, but not ftp nor telnet, except to certain hosts). Since I installed Windows 2000, my site became unavailable. Only removing the access-list could I get my site begining to function again. I am now concerned with the security of the site, of course !! Is there any difference between NT 4.0 and Windows 2000 in terms of ports needed to be open ? I cannot find any documentation neither or nor sites. Can anyone help me out ?

Thanks in advance.

Are you logging your "deny any any" matches? We had this problem before and by logging what packets were denied, we were able to narrow down what needed to be opened.

What I suggest is to log what packets your router denies. Then go through and check out what ports the denied packets were using. Research the ports to find out what they do. Then go through your list of ports and open them one at a time (or in combinations) until you find the right config you need

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back