Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 hangs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mysonaron

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
ZA
Recently I had upgraded a few client laptops to windows 2000. I replaced the drives with bigger ones which had windows 2000 pre-installed. I have since been receiving complaints that the laptops are hanging and the only solution is to reset the laptop. I've checked event viewer, the logs and the dump files and have found no evidence. I installed SP3 on all disks with hte latest updates and this problem still seems to occur. I even tried accessing one laptop through the LAN while it was hung but no path could be foun. I checked TechNet and find no solution there? Any ideas...

Verify that all the hardware in the laptops is on the HCL.

I certainly did check the HCL and ran a compatibility test as well. I may have to check for a BIOS update though. Will post a solution if I find it there...

Are all the laptops having problems?
You said drives are preloaded...by whom?
Possibly just a bad image.

Yeah, well not all the drives are problematic. Just about 4 maybe of about 20.

It could possibly be a bad image. Sometimes if you image a hard drive on one system and then take it to another system it crashes, due to different processors. Ive ghosted drives before and sounds like the problem i was having, just a handful were acting up. Reinstalled and worked great.

Good Day

I am having a similar problem with 15 PCs in a college library - the machines simply freeze - no error messages, no bsod, no entries in the system logs. the only solution is to hit the reset button.

FYI I am running Win2000 (with either service pack 2 or 3) and MS Windows network.

This problem only affects one make of PC in the library, the other makes (running the same setup and configuration) are fine.

We think it is either a hard drive problem (Win2k seems to push the HDDs harder than NT) or a network card problem.

Any ideas?

Barrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back