Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 freeze up 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitemtntn

IS-IT--Management
Nov 6, 2000
US
I am running Windows 2000 Pro at home. Occasionally, the O/S freezes up completely. (No mouse, keyboard, no Ctrl-Alt-Del). I have to power down and start over. This has happened with nothing running in the foreground, as well as during various tasks. I have a cable modem. I have one by one been disabling processes, including Zone Alarm, Norton AntiVirus 2000, Synchronization Manager... Still, the problem. Anyone have any ideas why this happens, or how I can find out what is causing it? Thanks.
- WhiteMtntn

I have a Nvidia video card
My Win2k locks up..

I installed WinXP about 24 hours ago... hasn't hung yet..

(knock on wood)

Like you guys, massive problem(s)?

Athlon 1.2
512MB PC133 Kingston Value Ram
Asus A7v133a rev 1.005
Asus v7700 GeForce 2 GTS w/ 32MB DDR
30GB Maxtor HD ATA100 7200rpm
SB PCI128
Windows 2000 PRO

using latest Via 4-in-1 v.4.35 drivers
Nvidia Detonator 21.83 (not Asus' cuz their's suck)
Bios is 1.005
AMD's 686 bug fix from viahardware.com

I first always install SP2 again then the reg patch recommended above q270715.

System seems stable enough just doing Office and internet surfing, but gaming...yoinks....this is why I have a GeForce 2 GTS!...insta-crashes! The whole computer freezes with a black and grey screen with the speakers making some skipping noises.

Just trying to install 3DMark 2001 it crashes! Which means trying something just as taxing like Emperor: Battle for Dune is guaranteed to crash too (which it did).

Didn't do the APCI or IRQ tweaks just yet.

Also running Zone Alarm. No problems with that.

Sharing my pain but at the same time trying to salvage my new computer...
Lots of complaints on the net about what I'm doing: AMD-VIA-Windows2000 combination seems to cause really bad karma.

All's that left is the APCI and IRQ tweak. But before I do this, is there something I missed?

If I can fix this, you, my felllow sufferers, will be the first to know.

we should alll be running windows 3.1 and not faffin around with new 'faster' and 'better' operating systems which require bigger and better machines, the worlds going upgrade crazy....whats wrong with a 486 + windows 3.1??? basic, easy, never crashes, reliable and cheap! bill gates is making a fortune exploiting us!

=================
"if linux is a plant then what is microsoft?"
"a blood-sucking snail with big pockets"

Okay, still in the middle of re-installing Windows 2000 according to this guy's forum. His approach seems to have helped a lot of people who have the A7v133 boards.

One of the biggest things to know what the PCI config and to put my SB PCI128 in PCI slot 3 AND have that slot reserve IRQ5 for legacy HW since the card requires 2 IRQ's to work! There's a link somewhere pointing to this on the ASUS page that mentions this.

his forum is here:
Massive but really useful read!

I'm still in the middle of following in this reinstallation and will let you all know how it turns out!

I'm running Windows 2000 on a ASUS CUSL2 MB with 512MB RAM (PC133 128+128+256), Pentium III 854MHz (100MHz * 8.5), Creative Labs GeForce 3, 20GB IDE harddrive, Haupepage WinTV-Go and some other stuff.
First I tried to install Windows 2000 Professional on my SCSI drive (connected to a Adaptec 2940UW card). While booting the installtion it hanged just before the "Starting installation.." something.
I removed the SCSI card and inserted a standard IDE disk.
Now the installation works fine and Windows 2000 boots normally.
Next problem, when installing the drivers for Intel 815 and Intel Busmaster ATA-100 driver the system hangs when trying to start a game or watch movies. Reinstalled DirectX 8.0 with no success.

Anyone has these problems?
I tried to remove all cards and still the same problems.
I guess it has something to do with the Intel drivers.

//Daniel
CSA, CCSA, CCSE, AIX RS6000 certified lunatic

See my previous msgs for my systm etc.

I followed mikedonthemike's suggestion fom 11/6 and haven't locked up since (few days now). Really all I did was change around the order and location of my PCI cards. Hope that helps and thank you Mike!

I have a similar problem, but it happens always when i try to install a new application, during power off and it happened also one time during a zip of a big file..... i will try all this info i got here.... let me know new infos, thanks

Caly

I have a new Dell 4300 at work (I've had it for 2 weeks) and practically once a day it locks up. I have nothing extra loaded on it and certainly have had no time to download anything extra onto it, or use up even 80% of memory. This was loaded straight from Dell. I have taken some of the advice given, but still have the same problem.
I think it's some sort of Windows 2000 bug, and it's really pissing me off. My old windows 95 worked better. Any thoughts?

I've read all the posts here with interest as I've been posting a similar woe on the Hard drive forum. My problems started as most of yours have, but now I can't copy files from one HDD to another without having a freeze within 30 secs of starting the copy. Problem also exists when running in Safe Mode.
My system is:
Abit KA7 mobo (latest available Bios; now set on fail-safe settings ) - K133 chipset running Windows chipset driver as advised by Via.
AMD K7 750 CPU running at normal clock speed on fsb of 100Mhz( Temp = 34C. Mobo/case temp = 27/24C)
1024 Mb Crucial PC133 Ram running at 133 Mhz and 10nanosecs bios timing ( down from Normal whilst fault finding)
Promise ATA100 Controller running 1 x ATA100 60Gb drive and 1 x ATA66 20Gb drive
DVD drive on Primary IDE
CD-RW drive on Secondary IDE
Matrox G400 Video Card with Matrox tweak to be compatible with 4xAGP
Hercules Sound Card
Win2K (SP2) and all latest updates & security patches
Wacom Tablet
Smartcard reader
Umax 5450 Scanner
Above 3 running off a powered USB hub
HP DJ990Cxi running off its own USB port
Firecard, but nothing connected to it.
Elsa 56K PCI modem

Now I have 9 devices all using IRQ 11 !!
I'm also tearing my hair out trying to fix this problem as I can't do a Win2K re-install without first copying some important files from the O/S drive to the second drive.
Seeing all the advice in this thread, looks like I'm for some heavy oiling of the midnight burn.
Cheers Guys :))
PS the answer never was given on how to re-allocate IRQs :-(

For Diana9999: It's a new DELL, which means that they better support it! If not, I would start with a clean install of Windows 2000. Isn't there some rebuild/restore CD that you can insert and it will format and reinstall the original version of Windows 2000 for your specific Dell Model?

For dbatlmu:
like an earlier post said for turning off APCI and changing to Standard PC:

Or if you reinstall Windows 2000, press F5 instead of F6 to specify a configuration other than APCI when you boot from the Windows 2000 CD

IDE problems.
Do you have latest Promise drivers? or back off one version?
check or for any further hints.

Hope that's a start!

I started reading these posts, but after forty something, I lost track of the suggestions! Anyway, hopefully this suggestion wasn't mentioned before. I had kinda the same problem, the system would not return when the screen powered down. My problem was that I needed to set the hard disks to never power down. Some of the posts here say that Win2K hangs after about 15 minutes, well 15 minutes (I think) is the default power down time for your hard drive under the power management icon in Control Panel. Set the machine up as "Always On" and everything else to "Never". Then set up a screen saver. This will keep the system 'active' enough to return when you hit a key.
I realise that this will not cover half of the problems mentioned here, but maybe it might help 1 or 2 of you.....
Here's hoping!.........

Geez, I haven't had to come to this thread in months because I got fed up troubleshooting win2k and installed, wait for it... ME. Apart from it spontaneously rebooting itself in the middle of the night (I hear the beep), it has been fine. I miss a few win2k features, but not the annoying freeze feature.

Scrub

::)
Have you checked to see what applications are set to run on boot. Try exiting each of the applications and then adding them back in until you ID the culprit.

You guys all seem to be running some potentially memory intensive apps. But how about getting "the Freeze" when just running MS Outlook Express???? I also freeze when right clicking in my windows explorer!!!! This is ridiculous!

On my Compaq with the above problem, I replaced the voltage regulator on the motherboard and the problem went away. Glenn A
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are tasty and crunchy and good with ketchup."

I have a similiar setup too,
KT7A, Giggy Athlon, GF3, SB16, 786MB RAM (Crucial CAS 2), Win2k, mine used to lock up doing nothing sometimes.
Reading the KT7A's manual, under "Delay DRAM Read Latch" it says -

"If DRAM load is heavy, for example if you were to install three doublesided DRAM modules in the DIMM slots you may need to choose a longer delay time for data reading".

In the BIOS I adjusted the delay from Auto to 1.5ns, no hangs yet, except when I shutdown :p

I too am also having this problem with lockups, its driving me bloody crazy to the point I will kidnap and torture a member of microsofts staff (not really fussed who).
Anyway i'm running a barebone system with no flashy graphics cards because the machine dont even have a AGP slot, its a gen intel chipset and motherboard and every day I can expect over 10 lockups.

Done almost everything including service packs and other poxy useless hotfixes.

The sound card is the one on the motherboard so no flashy stuff there either, I've done the no ASPI as I have done with EVERY machine i ever set up because it is CRAP period.

Anyone suggest anything further?

Oh and i've updated to IE 6 which does appear to have worked a little bit as it dont crash as much.

Ok I now have a microsoft geek here and i'm burning his feet with a zippo lighter but he still aint talking.

get back to you soon with at least some screams out of this little runt.

I have read the posted articles and thought I tell u of my suffers.
I am using a
Tyan Tiger133 newest BIOS),
768RAM(TG CL2),
one PIII 600EB and fakecpu-card,
GC was a Hercules Terminator 128/3D 'GLH',
Network-,
ISDN-Adapter,
Terratec 1024XFire Sound.
A view days ago I purchased the Leadtek Winfast GeForce2 MX DH Pro(TVout)64MB.
After installing the card, setting the driver, my box rund for about 10secs to 2 minutes, then it freezes.
Win98SE and Win2kPro produced 'freeze' after a few secs.
So, 'pull-one-cart-after-the-other': no luck.
New installation of Win98. No luck.
Trying this with the newest VIA and NVIDIA drivers. No luck.
Setting BIOS defaults!
New Win200 install... First installed GC driver, then VIA4in1 : KICK ASS! Everything worked stable and fine (not tried any games, but dxdiag passes all tests).
But I thought some sounds would be nice, so soundcard in: tried to install drivers: driver could not be completely installed.
Tried every PCI Slot, no luck.
I thought there could be something with VIA cause there was no USBhostController installed. So in the BIOS USB enabled, Windows starts -> freeze. Therefore I think there is something with USB!?
Anyways I can't install any PCI card since there seems heavy (Bus?)trouble.
Going to assign IRQ to AGP if possible and disable ACPI. I hope this helps.
Anyone any idea about this USB-thing?
Greetings
zodor

Sorry for bad syntax, but I am so full of rage i can't tell :|

this is to anyone who is having ANY problems what-so-ever, with ANY box freezing up. I have a solution but it would take me forever to type it up, so, email me at gundy@shaw.ca and just say that you would like the install guide and I will email it to you. Trust me, I spent hours on this, and I am at about nine months without a freeze up.

gundy@shaw.ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back