Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 freeze up 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitemtntn

IS-IT--Management
Nov 6, 2000
US
I am running Windows 2000 Pro at home. Occasionally, the O/S freezes up completely. (No mouse, keyboard, no Ctrl-Alt-Del). I have to power down and start over. This has happened with nothing running in the foreground, as well as during various tasks. I have a cable modem. I have one by one been disabling processes, including Zone Alarm, Norton AntiVirus 2000, Synchronization Manager... Still, the problem. Anyone have any ideas why this happens, or how I can find out what is causing it? Thanks.
- WhiteMtntn

I have the same freeze up problem. I have a Tyan 230 Dual processor via chipset MB. I have removed all the hardware and it still freezes. I have use different video cards and sounds cards same problem. I removed the MB and replaced it with the Tyan Tiger 100, no freeze. I installed Win2K in every configuration mentioned. It only freezes with this chipset. I THINK IT'S THE CHIPSET!!!

I had that problem and uninstalled all the updates and the problems went away. I then went back and downloaded them again with the anti-virus disabled and everything worked ok.

Just out of interest, who here chose the NTFS option ?

I have the same problem... Nvidia TNT2 ultra card, amd 1ghz k7.. windows 2k pro.. a chaintech mobo (CT-7AIA)...
um..
yeah ...

It freezes at different times, after sending email, while browsing webpages, messing with modem settings.. oh well....

Did you download the new version of the video driver from nvidia. If so, I think that may be the problem. I uninstalled it and used the w2k driver for the tnt2 ultra and havn't had the problem. I think the driver isn't optimized for the legacy tnt2 ultra. It's a darn shame to, because I was using this as justification to buy a new computer. Guess I'll have to wait another 6 months.

A commonality I've noticed amongst several of these posters is an ATI video card and a Soundblaster audio card.

My machine freezes at the moment win2k tries to load the "ATI Specialized PCD Codec". I cannot get this driver to install on the system (an IRQ issue I believe).

I'm thinking about going back to win98. This is bullshit.

Well after about 2 months without a freeze-up I believe I have solved my problem (knock on wood). So, I think it’s safe to post my solution, but I'm not actually sure what fixed the problem, however, I have narrowed it down to 2 things. The solution maybe one thing or the other or maybe both, so here goes:

1. I started by downloading and installing my BIOS updates.

2. I then changed a setting in BIOS my called Primary VGA BIOS (under the boot options) from PCI Card to AGP Card. I believe this was very important because I don't have a PCI graphics card (see previous post). I felt like a moron when I found it. I didn’t find it sooner because it wasn’t listed in my BIOS manual.

Good luck, everyone.

well i had this problem before i think the problem is with ur RAM
try to change it

Yeah I've been looking thru the system a bit more.. found:

11 NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro
11 VIA USB Universal Host Controller
11 VIA USB Universal Host Controller
11 C-Media CM8738 Audio
11 MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device

all using same IRQ... I've tryed to modify they IRQ's but unable to (greyed out)... any idea's? i've tryed reinstalling them etc but to no effect...
They say they don't have any conflicts... but really don't like it very much... 5 on same IRQ a bit obsessive? anyone help me?

(and thnx for above suggestion(s))

Ladies & Gentlemen....
I am the one who began this fateful Post. And I think that I finally solved my problem. I acquired a new video card (ATI Radeon 64), and replaced my Diamond Stealth G460 card. (I had also tried with no success the Diamond Viper rivaTNT2 card.
So maybe it was just the Diamond drivers or the Diamond settings. My machine has not frozen up since. It has been a month of solid use. All I have to say is hoo hoo hee hee, because your PC freezing up can really stick in your craw.
Lesson learned?....Windows 2000 is meant to be on a brand new machine, with brand new 2000 tested hardware. (and even then...
"Oh very young
What will you leave us this time
You're only dancing on this earth for a short while
And though your dreams may toss and turn you now
They will vanish away like your daddy's best jeans"

-WhiteMtntn

It could be that the firmware of your old GC was out of date. I recommend upgrading the firmware of everything to at least Jan 2001.

BIOS updates and so on should be checked regularly - I upgraded my laptop and cut the boot up time from 2 minutes to under a minute. Worthwhile.

well,
i've maybe found a solution that can prevent your computer from freezing.
I use a nvidia geforce, PIII 500, 128 Mb and win2K
sometimes it all froze up, so i've installed winXP, and now everything works ok.
maybe this can help...

Good luck!

I had this same problem for quite some time. I always thought it was a hardward related problem because it always hard locked. At one point I duduced it was a memory problem, so I turned on the memory test in my bios and sure enough, it reported memory problems. I pulled all of the RAM out and started to swap it in and out to pin point the bad DIMM. I never saw another memory problem (4 months ago now and no reoccurance). I have to think the thermal expabnsion had one of the DIMMs making intermittent contact loss and reseating all of them must have taken care of it. Might be something to try, Win2K is very picky about memory.

I´ve the following system:

PIII-1GHz
Asus CUSL2 MB
256MB RAM
MSI Starforce 64 (GForce 2 Pro)
Soundblaster Live!
Adaptec 29160 with 3 drives
Windows 2000 PRO SP2

Only when i am surfing with IE 5 to 6 my system hangs up. Sound is just playing in background but the graphical output freezes. In my system-logs aren´t new entries. On Windows 98 everything works perfect. I replaced every PCI-cards like ISDN, SB, NIC. Only my SCSI-controller and GPU were in the system but it´s still freezing.

On the other side i´ve a notebook (Dell Inspiron 8000 with the GForce 2 Go) running Windows 2000. No problems at all...

Any further ideas?

U4me, my system is very similar - I have an additional 128MB RAM, my SB Live! is a 'Value', and my drives are on the native IDE controller. I don't have any freezing problems; I have IE6 installed for my wife. She uses it ocassionally. I can't be of any more help, except to say that it can be overcome.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen.
--
Can priests turn other food into God, or only those little cookies?

Thank you for your response. I must say that my system worked perfect with this components a few months ago. But this time i had to reinstall the system. After that the failure came up.
Yesterday i checked several things: I replaced the ACPI-SYSTEM with a standard-entry in the Hardware-Manager. Nothing changed. I checked the sharing of the IRQ´s . No important IRQ´s are shared. I changed my bios to a Non-Plug´n-Play-System. Nothing changed. I took out the ISDN-Card, the NIC, the sound-card, the SCSI-Controller. I changed from SCSI to IDE. Nothing changed. Yesterday was a hard day ;o)

Now i will change my GPU from my GF2 Pro to a TNT to check this. Will go on. Kirk out...

Once the ACPI is changed to standard system, you have to manually force the PCI(1) <<read AGP to reserved in the BIOS. I had to remove the other cards in the system and replace them one at a time for the correct IRQ assignment. Make sure that you do all of these steps.

1. Change ACPI to standard PC(Yes, I know what M$ suggests)
2. Pull all cards but video.
3. Reserve the AGP slot in the Bios<<some Bios not all.
4. Boot machine without all the cards, just video.
5. Check for proper assigment of IRQs. If it doesn't then you may have to toggle plug & play OS in the BIOS.

Note A. This has worked for me, it may not work for you.
Note B. My lockups have gon away 100%.
Note C. About once a week, the PC will blue screeen at the launch of one app I have and restart itself, but only if the PC has been not been restarted for several hours or more. I can not be for certain if this is related to the changes, but wanted to make you aware of this.
Note D. Make sure your Power supply is adequate. This step is just an FYI and will not keep the others from working altogether, but I find as a technician many times people use too small a power supply for the megamachine they have built.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Thank you for your step-tips-notification. I will try it now.

Btw: MY Power supply is strong enough: 450W. Loud and noisy but: Power must be loud! Just kidding. Sorry ;-)

Regards...

I just checked event viewer like Scrub suggested. Mine had similar errors pointing to the 009 subkey. And for today, the hour it occurs coincide pretty closely with the time my computer froze. I will definitely check what this subkey does.

My system freeze everytime i download large files at fastest speed. Or when I am listening to Live Streaming musik over the net.

I don't know why - but I think it has something to do with the network adapter and WIN2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back