Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 File Associations

Status
Not open for further replies.

spike

IS-IT--Management
Mar 13, 2001
CA
When you double click a file that has no application associated with it, Windows 200 will poop up a window asking you waht you would like to open it with. By default it also places a check mark in the "Always use this program to open these files." check box.

Does anybody no how to turn this off? Just to clarify I would like to have the checkbox empty when I double click a file and this window pops up.

Thanks
Scott

That was a common complaint with Win2000 and it was explained at a Microsoft WinXP seminar I attended that it was one of the changes made in WinXP. No offering was made as to how to change it in Win2000.

Well, you could also CHANGE the file association too, so that when it 'poops up' (see your original post) it brings up a differnet program.

(Windows Explorer, tools, folder options, file types)

Hmmm, seems it was a bad spelling day. When I re-read the message, to find the poop, I also noticed I used Windows 200, which apparently came out in the stone age!

The reason I would like to change the default, is I am using notepad to open numerous files from an email archiving program. Each file has a different extension that is numbered. I was hoping for a registry fix to change the default.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back