Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Domain Windows 9x clients 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrFreese

IS-IT--Management
May 16, 2001
US
When my Windows 9x workstations logon to the network they do not get there homedrive mappings as i put in the users profiles, is this a known issue or is there a fix

How are you mapping the home drives, with a logon script? Are the clients 95 or 98, do any work or all fail?

No logon script, in the create user profile box, it has an option for a homedrive and maps a drive when the user logs on the domain, it works for 2000 professional workstation but it will not map a drive for 95,98, and ME.

With NT4 it maps a drive in 95,98.

PLEASE HELP!!!

I'M A NETWARE GUY WHO'S HAD TO INSTALL A WIN2000 SERVER TO RUN PROPRIETARY SOFTWARE. I LOADED THE SOFTWARE, AND LINKED THE SERVER TO A WIN95 WORKSTATION FOR TESTING; THE SERVER DOESN'T SEE THE PC, BUT IF I SEARCH FOR A COMPUTER THE PC WILL SEE THE BIG DOG. KEEP IN MIND THAT AT SOME POINT, I AM GOING TO HAVE TO INTEGRATE THIS SERVER INTO A NETWARE 5.1 ENVIRONMENT, BUT FOR NOW I JUST NEED TO GET THIS THING GOING TO RUN THIS SOFTWARE FOR 25 USERS. WHAT SHOULD I BE DOING???

is the 2k server adomain controler, and a standalone server?

As far as I am aware, 9x client won't map to a share you make in the Connect and To boxes, you will have to map via a logon script. I'd be happy to be proved wrong however!

Moody1

Are you trying to just get the computers to talk, and therefore the Win2K box to just act as a server or for the network to be controlled by the Win2K box? (This is what MrFreese is asking in case Netware terminology is different :) )

You should have answered whether you want it to control, as a Primary Domain Controller, when you installed the OS.

Paulwood
Thank you for that information that is what i thought as well but was nto sure and wanted to verify that....

I have win98 and win95 clients running scripts from a win2k domain controller and their drives will never map using the home directory, they will sometimes map with logon scripts. It seems to be a flip of the coin.

I was having the same problem. To work around it I had to use kixtart to map the drive. The net use command only worked about 25% of the time.

In order to map the users drive it has to be a share on the server. If you try to map \\computer\data\user where data is a share and user is not win9x machines will only map as far as data. Apparently this is a known issue with win9x

We created a share for each user and set permissions then mapped them with kixtart.

Code:
use U: "\\ourserver\" + @userid

if you want the shares hidden you'll have to concatenate the $ (at the back??)

This is just one way we figured out how to do it. Your probably thinking there's got to be a better way, I did.

Just an update in case any is having logon problems. I found with my logon script (i use wsh) if I put in a popup window where each of the drives map and pause the script for a few seconds, I get reliable drive mappings.

I dont know why, it just seems to work...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back