Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 DNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

igurtin

Technical User
Jul 10, 2001
US
Hi all
I wonder if someone could help me in my situation. I have a W2K with Act. Dir. server with IIS5 DNS and Exchange 2000. I have one public IP address from my ISP. Public IP address is on DSL route.
My server has a local IP address. All necessary ports are open on the router, so I can get to the server from the internet. I have a domain registered and host registered with a public IP address.
Can somebody help me to set up my DNS server? I deleted the “.” Root. I also made a primary forwarding and reverse zones for mine domain. My secondary DNS is my ISP.
What else should be done in order to have my own primary DNS?
Thank you,

I want to be sure you are only trying to set up your server to host for your clients name resolution. If you are creating an internet name server (that the whole planet will use) don't listen to me.
1.Set your server NIC for an internal static IP, gateway set to the router, DNS set to the loopback address 127.0.0.1 (do not use a secondard DNS setting here!)
2. It sounds like your server has AD and DNS already installed, and the DNS is authoritive for your domain. You have already configured DNS with your ISP DNS as a forwarder, and set a reverse zone, so no problems there.
3. Your clients (if you use DHCP change the settings as necessary) should have your server as their DNS, again with no secondary set, and your router as their gateway.

So your DNS server knows about all your clients, and they ask it for all name resolution (LAN and internet). This server asks the ISP DNS only for name resolution when it has not cached this info already. The server and clients both talk to the router once the IP address is provided by DNS.

Alex

I'm creating an internet name server.

Could you please tell me if the forwarding zone must be any of my ISP DNS servers?
And what it would be for the reverse lookup?

Thank You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back