Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 DHCP not assigning IP address' 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AaronJ1227

Technical User
May 28, 2002
US
I have setup a home network with 5 systems total, 1 server and 4 clients. I am trying to setup the server to use DHCP to administer IP address and also allow internet connection sharing. The server is using Windows 2000 Server but is NOT using Active Directory. DHCP is installed, is set as active and has an IP address range associated with it. The clients are able to access the internet when I have proxy software setup on the server and I assign static IP address' to them. If I setup the clients to obtain the IP address from the DHCP server, no address are obtained and therefore internet access is not available.

Can you please give a little more information. How are you accessing the internet ? Do you have a dialup modem or ISDN modem on the server, or are you using a router for DSL or a cable modem ? How many NIC's in your server ? If the latter is true, make sure the router isn't also set up as a DHCP server or to assign an address using NAT.
If your clients aren't being assigned an IP address from your W2K server/DHCP server, then just waht addresses DO they get ? Something in the 162.x.x.x (indicating they are looking for a DHCP server but finding none) range or something completely different ? At a minimum, these questions must be answered before we can proceed. Anything else you feel relevent would also be appreciated.

Tom

When setting up DHCP under W2K, you need to authorize the service...
JTB
Solutions Architect
MCSE-NT4, MCP+I, MCP-W2K, CCNA, CCDA,
CTE, MCIWD, i-Net+, Network+
(MCSA, MCSE-W2K, MCIWA, SCSA, SCNA in progress)

I can't help you, but I have a similar problem. I have roughly the same setup as you. Except, I want to use static ip's instead of a DHCP server. I'm using an internal DSL modem on my win 2000 server. Then there is an ethernet nic going out to a hub. The dsl modem has a public static ip. The client machines have private static ip's (192.168.0.2+). I now want the client machines to have public static ip's. I want to use the other 4 public ip's the dsl provider gave me. Do I set these public static ip's on the client machines (and what are the settings)?

Or do I use a proxy/routing solution and create a map from private static ip's to public static ip's:
192.168.0.2 --> 67.117.70.171
192.168.0.3 --> 67.117.70.172

the win 2000 server (gateway to internet) has 2 nics:
192.168.0.1 (ethernet nic going to internal hub)
67.117.70.170 (dsl modem)

so how do I see my client machines from the internet?

You should be able to check the address leases in DHCP to see if they are actually getting them. If they are check that the browser settings are correct for the proxy.
Dave

Where can I verify that the DHCP has been authorized? When I go into the DHCP from control panel, it shows as active. When I go into services in the control panel, it is showing started.
The server has 2 NICs. One is connected to a cable modem and is set to obtain an IP address from the ISPs server. This one is also set to share the internet connection. The second NIC has a static IP of 192.168.0.1. This NIC is connected to a hub which then goes out to the clients.
When the clients fail to get an address, they give themselves an address of 169.x.x.x.

Q. How do I authorize a DHCP server in Windows 2000?

A. Any user running Windows 2000 server could install the DHCP server service causing potential problems and so Windows 2000 adds the concept of authorizing the servers with the Active Directory before they can service client requests. If the server is not authorized in the Active Directory then the DHCP service will not be started.

To Authorize a server perform the following:

1. Logon as a member of the Enterprise Administrators group
2. Start the DHCP MMC snap-in (Start - Programs - Administrative Tools - DHCP)
3. Select the DHCP root, right click and select 'Browse authorized servers'
4. A list of authorized DHCP servers will be displayed. 5. Click Add
6. Enter the name or IP address of the DHCP server and click OK.
7. Click Close
8. The red arrow over the DHCP server should now change to a green one if you select refresh (it may take a few minutes).

from " Setnaffa is an MCSE-4.0 (working on W2K) with a few other certs, too...

I think tomcole is on the right track when he asked you for more information.

I believe the original question stated that AD is not being used. If this is the case, try this URL for
installing DHCP on a standalone server, including where to look when clients don't receive leases..

I'd also recommend using Windows' Network Monitor to trace dhcp related packets which will give you a better idea if it's a routing issue etc.

Check this whitepaper:
Windows 2000 Startup and Logon Traffic Analysis

an excerpt follows:

The process in general consists of eight messages:

DHCPDiscover. A DHCP client uses this message in order to detect at least one DHCP server.

DHCPOffer. Each DHCP server that receives the request from a client checks its scopes for a valid configuration set and offers this to the DHCP client.

DHCPRequest. The DHCP client requests the first offer it receives from the DHCP server.

DHCPAcknowledge. The selected DHCP server uses this message in order to confirm the lease with the DHCP client.

DHCPNack. The DHCP server uses this message in order to inform a client that the requested TCP/IP configuration is invalid.

DHCPDecline. The DHCP client uses this message in order to inform the server that an offered TCP/IP configuration is invalid.

DHCPRelease. The DHCP client uses this message to inform the server that an assigned configuration is no longer in use by the client.

DHCPInform. This is a new message defined in Request for Comments (RFC) 2131. If a client has already obtained an Internet Protocol (IP) address (for example, manual configuration), it may use this message to retrieve additional configuration parameters that are related to the IP address from a DHCP server.

what port is your dhcp server plugged into ? and are you sure that your client machines are connected?? i say try assigning one client machine an IP on that network and see if it can communicate with the server, if that works next try disabling the NIC on the non dhcp network just for testing purposes, you may have the wrong NIC plugged into your hub for your internal network.

Hi,

I am having the same type of problem. It is a small network setup as a workgroup. The problem computer has access to the server via the netbuie protocol but cannot get a dhcp ip address, while all other computers in the workgroup with the same setting are able to a ip address and get out to the internet with no problem. Also If I go to another computer and try and find the problem computer on the network i can't. I took the problem computer and put in on a different network and it was able to get a ip address using dhcp but on the original network it cannot get a ip address. The server is setup to obtain a dhcp address from the router modem, and is also set to not provide dhcp services. I can't access the router because there is no documentation, and when I contacted the ISP provider they were no help at all, said they don't support that router modem. I am going to try static Ip address on a another computer and the problem computer to see if I can ping it on the network, just see if the tcp/ip is working on the workgroup, Any suggestions

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back