Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 detecting bad blocks --LONG!

Status
Not open for further replies.

J0llyR0ger

IS-IT--Management
Mar 21, 2002
US
Greetings. I'm running Win2k on my computer with a Highpoint HPT370 IDE Raid controller and two IBM 40GB drives in a RAID 0 configuration.

Recently, I've noticed some degraded system performace so I decided to investigate. I also noticed that at times of slow downs that my IDE activity light seemed to stay lit, so I figured I would start investigating the problem by looking at my hard drives. When I went into the event log, I noticed several of these errors:

The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.

I also found a few of these errors:

The device, \Device\Scsi\HPT3xxNT1, did not respond within the timeout period.

After seeing these errors, I decided to run chkdsk. chkdsk took a very long time to run and after 24 hours of running, I decided to reboot and try using Norton DiskDoctor. After I rebooted during chkdsk however, I was met with a nice "Broken Stripe" message and of course since I'm running RAID 0 my machine wouldn't boot. Luckily I was able to use the raidrb utility from Highpoint to rebuild the array and the computer now boots. I'm not sure what broke the array but the fact that I can still access my data makes me very happy.

Now I'm still facing the bad blocks problem. I know that tools like Disk Doctor should be able to mark those areas of the disk as bad so that the system will avoid them and maybe even move the data thats there to a good part of the disk. My main question is, should I attempt to fix the problem with a piece of software and then call it good to go, or should I be thinking about replacing the drive? If a drive is developing bad blocks, does the problem tend to get worse? (more bad blocks over time)

Is there any chance that the Controller is the cause of the problem? (The "\Device\Scsi\HPT3xxNT1, did not respond within the timeout period" error is making me a little suspecious)

Thank You very much in advance to anyone that can offer some helpful advice.
Drew

Have you already installed the latest drivers for all the hardware, latest Windows updates, latest BIOS updates to the RAID hardware, etc.?

Yes I had.

IBM had me run some of their utilities on the disk and has determined it to be a bad disk. They're going to replace it for free, so I guess my question has been answered. Thank You for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back