Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 defrag problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

chays

Technical User
Nov 12, 2001
US
I have a Dell 4300 running Windows 2000. My hard drive is partitioned with Partition Magic. It has worked fine for over a year. I can run defrag on every drive but my "C" drive. This is where my system resides. If I try I get this error message: "Instruction at 0x77fcb2b9 reference memory at =0x00000000. The memory could not be written." It also tells me it cannot perform the operation and an error report has been written. Is this normal or there is a problem. I feel my system is becoming a little sluggish. I did notice that the other partitions are labeled ntfs and the "C" drive is labeled FAT 32.

fat 32 SHOULD not be a problem, but that's a big SHOULD.

always best to go NTFS, if there's nothing holding you back, upgrade. but if you're fat32 now, then it can't be an NTFS security problem.

in win 98 (not 2000) i often had to restart in safe mode to able to run a defrag on my system partition. mebbe give that a try.

AND i just found another thread on this site regarding similar mem errors:

people have fixed their problems with everything from disabling antivirus (check av settng in your bios too), applying the latest service packs & updates, disabling printers (?), deleting the pagefile (that one makes sense to me), and reinstalling windows (shudder to think). best of luck my friend! - let me know how it goes, could be my problem too one day! - Tim S.
A+, Net + certified
MCSA in training

OH YEAH, could be crappy RAM too. if you cannot solve this otherwise, try removing a stick at a time and repeating your defrag. the high mem usage of the defrag might be utilizing areas of your mem that wouldn't normally be used. - Tim S.
A+, Net + certified
MCSA in training

Partition Magic has checking options in it. Have you used this to check C:?

I tried to use the Partition Magic software to check the "c" drive but it tells me there arte open files on the partition and can't.

CH

Is it possible your C drive is low on space? It takes a pretty good chunk of free space to run the defragmenter. Good luck, and Happy Computing

Another way to check the partition for errors - running Partition Magic - is highlight the partiton, right click (or use 'Operations' on the tool bar) and run "Windows Checkdisk". This should fix any errors, and will work even though the operating system has 'open files' in use. Then try the defrag again.

Bw

Daft question, but have you service packed the PC? That exact error used to show up pre-SP1 when you logged on to a computer that hadn't installed cleanly. Either way it may be worth throwing an SP at it to see if that fixes anything. It's unlikely to be RAM I think, as the same thing would happen on all drives. If all else fails and, as has been said, if it doesn't affect you either way, converting to NTFS may resolve it aswell.

Let us know how you're getting on.

Partition Magic will let me convert the "C" drive to NTFS. However, I was unsure if this would do something drastic to the system. It is my main workhorse. I am running Windows 2000 pro, service pack 2.

Thanks for your help.

Chris

You can also convert your FAT partition to NTFS without buying a new app.

go to start/run/cmd and type

C:\>convert /?
Converts FAT volumes to NTFS.

CONVERT volume /FS:NTFS [/V]

volume Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon),mount point, or volume name.

/FS:NTFS Specifies that the volume to be converted to NTFS.

/V Specifies that Convert should be run in verbose mode.

Based on this, your command would be something like:

C:> convert C: /FS:NTFS /V

It will tell you it cant do it within windows and ask if you would like to perform on next boot.
Just tell it yes, and it will do it for you.
I have used this method many times with great results.
Good luck, and Happy Computing

converting to NTFS will keep all data on the partition intact. if you're still worried though (and better safe than irreplaceably sorry) just be sure to do a full backup before the upgrade. - Tim S.
A+, Net + certified
MCSA in training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back