Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 browse problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

lengoo

IS-IT--Management
Jan 15, 2002
GH
Hi All,
I've been scouring the MS support and knowledge base to see if I can find a problem to the problem I am having but no such luck as yet!
A few months ago, I put in a second chip into our NEC server and configured the processor to work as a Multiprocessor.
I don't know whether the installation caused this problem but now, the explorer windows don't display any icons until I do a manual refresh by pressing F5.. this happens on Windows Explorer, Internet Explorer etc. This is really annoying and it keeps stalling on the Windows Update pages..
So now I removed the other CPU and reconfigured the server to read only one chip.. however, I still have this problem so I don't know if this is related!!!
Any ideas why this could be? There isn't much happening with the CPU though.. it's only 2% on average (however, I don't know if this is normal, but I notice it does shoot up if I move windows around.. is this normal? SOmetimes it hits 100% by doing this!)

Check what shortcuts you have on your desktop. It is possible to have shortcuts to some dirctories or files that couldn't be access then, or accessed to slow (security issues, naming issues). Have you Active Desktop runnig too?

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K
new: (just started)

Hi Gia
Thanks for the reply.. no.. I just looked no shortcuts..

This only happened when I installed teh second CPU though.. I found another person who had the same problem with this but so far, no resolution! Any ideas why this could be? Are there any known issues with installing second CPUs?

Hm,.. i know some systems with 2 CPUs, and no similar problem. If i will find something i will give you a sign.

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K
new: (just started)

Thanx :)
There's no probs on my previous systems.. just this one

We have had the same problem after installing a second processor. The internet explorer page (or explorer) wont open/load until we open a menu or click F5. We did manage to get one server working by performing windows update, but no luck with the second 2 systems.

Please let me know if you get any answers.

Thanks.

We have the same problem and still no resolution. Our problem occurred after installing 2nd processors on 3 separate servers(compaq DL380 and ML370).

We still have not found a solution. If anyone does please let me know!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back