Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Bootdisk problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdhindsa

Programmer
Feb 22, 2003
CA
I am very confused. I have a problem with my Windows 2000 Professional cd, that I never knew I had. I've been installing Windows 2000 on my computer with no trouble, but recently, just out of curiosity I wanted to make bootdisks. I read on the internet that you must go into the Bootdisk folder on the cd, and run MAKEBT32.

The problem is, my cd doesn't contain any file called MAKEBT32, or any folder named Bootdisk. But I have used it before and installed Windows with no problem.

I do however have a folder called i386, can someone please explain what is happening?

Jason

Their on there, your just not finding them. To make your 4 disks: Insert a formatted floppy into your floppy drive-Insert the Windows 2000 CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive-go to start>run box and enter the following command:
D:\bootdisk\makeboot.exe A:
where "D" is the letter for your CD-ROM drive. Then follow the prompts on the sreen. Let me know how you make out.

jmtjet:

I already tried that, and I tried it again after reading your post.

My cd-rom drive is F:

So I typed:

F:\bootdisk\makeboot.exe A:

And I got the error:

F:\bootdisk is not accessible

I can't figure out the problem.

Your cd should have a bootdisk folder which will contain both makeboot.exe & makebt32.exe. Try browsing the folder with explorer and double click either one. It should open up a dos window for you with instructions. You can give it a try anyway??

It doesn't contain the bootdisk folder, I tried searching for the files makeboot.exe and makebt32.exe and it can't find them.

I don't understand this. It is a copy of Win2k Pro, that shouldn't be a problem should it?

So does that mean that there are 2 versions of the Win2k cd then? One with the ability to make boot disks, and one without?

Did your disk come with a new system? i.e. Systemax, Tiger, (small company build?)

No...this is a copy I got from a friend...my system never came with the cd.

HA HA HA HA HA HA

I See, you mean it's ILLEGAL PIRATED SOFTWARE...!

That's why it don't have what you need

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back