Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows 2000 blue screen--help 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

7211s

Technical User
Dec 29, 2006
US
i am running windows 2000 and all of sudden when i reboot i get a "blue screen"....partial---> 0x0000007b (blah, blah, blah) inaccessible_boot_device.

Of course i think i have tried everything and at this point i just want to re-format and re-install windows 2000 and i probably would have done that already but i can not get past the "blue screen". i have tried to use the install cd but it still comes up with the "blue screen". i have tried to go into safe mode but i still get the
'blue screen". i have tried to go back to the last known good entry but...you guessed it...the "blue screen" comes up.

i am really tired of the whole thing (probably a virus) i just want to re-format and re-install so i can get my computer back.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I beat a permanent blue-screen by using Knoppix.
Can you get your hands on a Knoppix CD?
If so, will your system boot to the Knoppix CD?
If yes. I can provide enough instructs to get you back to a position where you can re-install W2K.

Luck.
stan

Stan...

Thnaks for the info but I can not get anything to boot up.

Alan

Alan

You mean the machine won't boot from a 2k install CD (ie, booting from the Cd not the hard drive) - it still gives 7b error? I've never seen that - have seen it boot from install Cd and then try a repair reinstall and it 7b's after reboot when the second phase of install starts. Are you sure you set it to boot from CD in the bios? Because my first approach would be to boot into recovery console (which needs you to boot from install Cd) and then running

chkdsk c: /r
fixmbr
fixboot

reboot and see if ok

If no good, try a repair reinstall

(though the only times I've seen these fail is when there's a 7b error).

If it really is 7b'ing booting from install CD, then you have a serious hardware problem - need to eliminate & replace the cause.

Wolf...

Thanks for the info. To answer your question, yes i did change the bios to read from cdrom. It starts to boot but then it goes to the famous "blue screen"...now you can see why it is driving me crazy.

Alan
======

So you get 'press any key to boot from CD' prompt? Hit a key, and you get the 'setup is inspecting...' message? Then, sometime after this it blue screens?

If so, then you need to start disconnecting what can be (to allow install) and replacing what can't as far as possible with known good to identify the hardware causing problem. Also, if this is what's happening, at what point does it blue screen?

If not, then its not booting from CD - and my money's still on that. If its not booting from CD (and bios definitely ok), then need to look first at CD drive and install CD. Try the CD in another machine - does it boot. If so, try booting another bootable Cd in this machine. You should know which is causing the booting problem after this. If its the install CD, and the files on it are ok, you can create a new one (try something like nlite - it will create a bootable iso file for you (with slipstreamed services packs, patches if you want) from which you can burn new install CD.

Wolluf...

Again, thanks for the info.

I found out the problem.....the hard drive is bad.

Thanks for your help.

alan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back