Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 backup issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgarner58

IS-IT--Management
Oct 8, 2003
US
I am using windows 2000 backup to backup my exchange server (the network backup is done via arcserve on a seperate machine)with a VXA2 drive and having some issues.

The issue is that windows 2000 backup when it starts creates it's own media pool, and that media pool recognized vxa2 media as vxa1 thus halving the capacity of the tapes and forcing me to use 2 tapes to do the backup. i tried to change the media type of the media pool but it makes no difference.

Anyone have any ideas?

I use Veritas so I am not sure if this is available in Arcserver.

I use the W2k backup and save it to a temp folder on a drive that Veritas can access. I run it about 1 hour prior to the tape backup run each night. I then backup the exchange info during my regular run. It adds a level of restoration to the process but it may save you the agrevation of the 2 tape delima.

Reguards

thanks for the advice and i actually considered that, but...my information store is tipping the scales at 112gb. doing that would greatly increase the time table of the backup procedure.

initially i just wanted to replace the vxa2 drive with an sdlt with the appropriate capacity, but it's just not in the budget.

Yea, I can relate with that. What is the size of the volumes (outside of Exchange) that you are backing up? What is your basic backup requirement config?

the total backup scene kind of looks like this...

i have arcserve running on my win2k fileserver and it does the network backup. a number of different app's but the majority of the backup is the fileserver itself and our sql server. it tips in around 280gb. on the exchange box all i backup is the info store since it's pretty easy to recover from a disaster with the disaster recovery switch installing exchange. there is nothing else important on that box. what really amazes me is that our info store has grown exponentially in the last 2.5 yrs.

Sounds to me like a driver problem where your media isn't being detected properly. I would check the manufacturer web site for an updated driver.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

yeah i have the latest vxa2 driver.

like i said...the issue is pretty much that when you start ntbackup it automatically creates it's own media pool. that media pool is defaulting to vxa1 media type. even after i change it....it STILL sees it as vxa1.

very irritating.

I know you can change the mode of the VXA-2 to emulate other backup devices.

Perhaps you could change mode and media pool would see correct size of tape?

Neill

hrmmm, that is a good suggestion. i have to be honest though...i am not sure where i would go to change the "mode" of the actual device. i would assume the device properties in the hardware manager?

i will look around and see if i can find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back