Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 and SmartGui

Status
Not open for further replies.

OB1too

Technical User
Jun 7, 2000
AU
Does SmartGui work under Windows 2000 or not? (Bit confused by "comments" by Mincom personnel.)

SmartGui is not supported under Windows 2000. The only 16 bit application that will be supported under Windows 2000 will be ReportLink.

I have Smartgui working on a WIN2000 client. We have it configured as a server based system, with basically only the icon and environment variables set on the client. The network is NT4 server based. It all appears to work quite happily. We do not have it rolled out to all users yet as we are only trialling WIN2000 with a small number of users.

With all these negative aspects regarding the installation of MIMS under Windows 2000, I guess it is even less supported under Windows 2000 Terminal Server?

From what I've discovered so far, whilst MIMS & 2000 appear okay, the combination is not stable....however MIncom "apparently" are doing some work in this area...but that would need a confirmation from one of Mincom's own..here's hoping they read this.

Hi,
I am install MIMS 4.3.1.1 in Windows 2000 Profesional and OK.

The important is:
- the path your install (c:\program files\mincom\...)
- the environment variable for 16 bits programs (SmartGUI)
.... MWARE
.... SGUI
.... MIMS home directory.
this is the diferent.

- the path in [Paradox Engine] in WIN.INI (NetNamePath)
- the jargon is install OK.

Sorry by my inglish

Best regards
Hernan

You could also look into installing MSQMUI, which will eliminate any problems with compatibility issues for SmartGui for 4.1.1 and Windows 2000. This also allows MIMS to write directly to the registry instead of to the WINDOWS.INI file. Speak to your local vendor about obtaining the software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back