Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows 2000 and IIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Jan 23, 2002
AU
Hi,

I'm setting up W2K server as but am having problems with anonymous access.

When ever I connect to my web site I am prompted for username, password and domain. If I enter a valid username I am connected to the web site. I can manually enter the IIS windows account "iusr_server" with correct password and I am connected without a problem. It seems that the automatic login fails.

I have verified that anonymous access is selected within IIS and I have also verified user details. Local and domain security policies allow the IIS account to log in over the network and also locally. I'm not sure what else to check. I have restarted the relevenant services and even tried uninstalling/re-installing IIS - but no luck.

Any help would be most welcome.

have you checked your Security on the home dir your using for your web. See if Everyone is present with Read access.

Ok where you check to see if anonymous access is turned on check to see if you have any authentication turned on and if so turn it all off. You can check this with every folder and virtual folder so if you are having this problem with one folder check that one

Jason Rich Cook -- "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

check if you have INtegrated Windows Authentication selected
under Authentications,also check policies.. A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

Once you have Anony. checked in IIS go the the dir that your using for your webserver and in the security settings add Everyone then give them read access. Then I suggest refreshing IIS.

I've checked permissions, and everybody has read access.
I have even run the permissions wizard and replaced all permissions with the the system defaults - I still get the same problem.

If I deselect the windows authentication method, I'm no longer prompted for a password, etc., but I get the message "You are not authorised to view this page"

Is there any thing else I can do before I have to reset the entire permissions on my hard drive and start from scratch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back