Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 and 2003 DC's on same domain 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IS300

MIS
Oct 29, 2003
CA
Is it possible to have both Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 domain controllers co-exist on the same domain?

I googled it and it tells me that you need to run ADPrep before it will work. Do I need to do anything with Exchange?

We only have one forst, one domain, so it's a fairly straight forward setup.

Thoughts anybody??

Thanks,

It's a pretty straight forward process. You'll need to run forestprep and domainprep before promoting a 2003 server. It will check and prompt you before hand if it needs to be run. My only suggestion (if you have multiple 2000 DCs now) is to allow some replication time after each step.

(yay! shameless advertising. my side business)

If you're going to install 2003 Server R2, be sure to use the adprep from the 2nd CD.

FYI, I just did exactly this over the weekend and had absolutely no problems so far (knock on wood). I'll be bringing the 2003 server up this week.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

I've been reading for sometime now about adding a 2003 Server R2 DC to an existing 2000 DC. Do I need to run the 2003 Disk 2 adprep on the 2000 server or on the 2003 server? If I try running it on the 2003 server I get something like "cannot run on this platform because it's not a domain controller". What am I missing?

The R2 ADPREP must be run on the 2000 DC.

Here are some related links:
Here are some links that should get you going for upgrading a 2000 domain to 2003:

Common Mistakes When Upgrading a Windows 2000 Domain To a Windows 2003 Domain

Hotfixes to install before you run adprep /Forestprep on a Windows 2000 domain controller to prepare the Forest and domains for the addition of Windows Server 2003-based domain controllers

Commodore.ca | Windows | How To Upgrade Windows 2000 Domain to Windows 2003 Server
Quote from the top of this article: "Several glossy Microsoft presenters have stated that all you need to do to complete a Windows 2003 Domain upgrade is run ADPREP and then upgrade away. This may work for very small / simple environments but it is definitely not good advice for most companies. After upgrading five servers in two unrelated domains and installing many fresh copies of 2003 I can say that I personally would not skip a single step in the process I have developed below."

How can I transfer some or all of the FSMO Roles from one DC to another?

How To Create or Move a Global Catalog in Windows 2000

[If you run Exchange 2000] Windows Server 2003 adprep /forestprep Command Causes Mangled Attributes in Windows 2000 Forests That Contain Exchange 2000 Servers

Windows Server 2003 Upgrade Assistance Center

[If using R2 release of Windows 2003] Extending Your Active Directory Schema for New Features in Windows Server 2003 R2

How to move a DHCP database from a computer that is running Windows NT Server 4.0, Windows 2000, or Windows Server 2003 to a computer that is running Windows Server 2003

How can I move a DHCP database from one server to another?

How can I move DNS from one Windows 2000 Server to another Windows 2000 Server?
(Two Related if going 2000 to 2003 - read both before moving)

lwcomputing is correct. But for the abridged explanation:

You run ADPREP on the 2000 DC to extend the AD Schema so the new 2003 DC can join the domain.

You will need to run ADPREP /FORESTPREP AND ADPREP /DOMAINPREP

If your only intention is to add the 2003 as a member server there is no need to run ADPREP.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

Thanks for the responses... What my intensions are is installing a new Server 2003 R2 to the domain and have our current 2000 server replicate the AD and in time get rid of the 2000 server.

Isn't the R2 version of Server 2003 a 64 bit application and will the adprep form that cd work on a 2000 server that is 32 bit?

No, R2 is an across the board revision. If you're running 2003 Standard, there will be an R2 disc available, same for Enterprise, etc.

Our server came with R2 installed. When I try running the adprep from the R2 second disk, I receive an error that it is not a valid Win32 application.

Yes I did. My current DC is a Server 2000 SP4. I get the same error about not being a valid win32 application.

Does my problem have anything to do with my domain operation mode being set to "mixed"?

Well, as fate would have it, I just this morning DCPROMO'd a new 2003 R2 server into one of my domains. I had already run the adprep from the 2nd disc of the R2 CD's I have, 2003 R2 Standard, without any problems.

It sounds like French44 has R2 64 bit. Lander maybe you could make your 32 bit version available for download? I have not been able to find it available for DL on Microsoft.com.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

Markdmac, I was able to find a 32 bit version and that is working fine. Thanks for the help.

I was able to track down a 32bit R2 version from another company that I work with. Once I ran that version of adprep, everything worked like it should have. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back