Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 always defaults to open HTML using Netscape

Status
Not open for further replies.

ste1

IS-IT--Management
Apr 11, 2002
GB
Using windows 2000, whenever I try to open a link from another program, outlook express for example it always opens it with Netscape.

How do I change this so it opene using IExplorer.

I am sure this is a simple setting but I cant find it.

Thanks

As best I can tell after doing a little searching the only way to change it is to tell Internet Explorer to check to see if it is the default browser. Once that is done, the next time you use IE it will prompt you to make it the default.

You can set this up by clicking a checkbox under Tools:Internet Options:programs on the Internet Explorer Menu.

Hope this helps.

if you have a html file on your HD go to it and hold the Ctrl key and then right-click it. One of the options should be open with. Pick this option then pick IE from the list of programs and check the box that says allways open these file types (or somthing like that). Hit enter and all you HTMl pages should have an IE icon now.

I have had this problem after installing Verizon DSL service, which comes bundled w/ Netscape - automatically installs it - and never corrects ALL the settings on uninstall.
If the setting in IE to check if it's the default browser doesn't solve your problem, you can manually edit the file associations for all the diffrent flavors of web documents back to IE and not Netscape.
Double click "My Computer", open the file menu for "Tools", choose "Folder Options", then the tab for "File Types". In this window you can edit the program associated w/ each file extension (.htm, .html, .xml, .mht, etc...) - Tim S.
A+, Net + certified
MCSA in training

...of course Wirdo's way is much simpler. If you're into the quick and efficient way of doing things, that is. - Tim S.
A+, Net + certified
MCSA in training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back