Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Active Directory problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjlandry

IS-IT--Management
Mar 17, 2004
US
I am trying to make serveral servers be domain controllers for 1 domain. The first one would be the root and the rest would be backups. I already have the first domain controller created. I keep getting an error when I try to create "additional domain controller for existing domain".

The error is "The operation failed because:
Failed finding a suitable domain controller for the domain.

The specified domain either doen not exist or could not be contacted.

let me know if this is a familair error. Thanks in advance for your help.

Brady

In the tcpip properties the Primary DNS server setting should point to the ip of the root dc.

I have done this and now I am getting another error.

(The operation failed because:
Failed to configure the service NETLOGON as requested
the wait operation timed out.)

Microsoft does not suggest DNS servers to point to it self. I will cause Netlogon errors. I don't remember the KB number.

I tried setting my dns setting on the DC to my win NT dns server. Then I stopped and restarted the netlogon service. I got a lot of errors. I changed the dns setting on my DC to point to itself and restarted the netlogon service again and got no errors. Which way is right?

Keep it pointed to itself. NT DNS supports SRV records, but does not support dynamic updates, which is why you are seeing the errors.

If you add additional DCs, you can point this first DC to one of them to prevent the islanding problem. But if it's the only DC on the network at the moment, it has to point to itself.

assuming this is DNS issue, this may help. quoted from
2nd DNS Issues

1. When setup 2nd DNS, make sure you type correct Master DNS Server IP address.
2. Make sure primary DNS and 2nd DNS servers can ping each other and not firewall block them.
3. Make sure primary DNS and 2nd DNS servers point to each other as primary and themselves as secondary.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network, Internet, VPN, Routing and How to at

When I do a NSLOOKUP command I get this.

C:\>nslookup
*** Can't find server name
*** Default servers are no
Default Server: UnKnown
Address: 10.50.184.124 (this is the correct address of my dns server)

I am not sure what this means.

as of now I only have 1 DC and DNS server. I am just trying to get the 2nd DC to join the existing domain. Should I make that one a backup DNS server also.

I am having some wierd problems with my 2nd server. I am currently reloading it with W2K server. I will let you know how it goes once it is up.

Make sure the proper entries are in your DNS for your root domain controller and that forward and reverse lookup tables exist for it .....

quoted from
Can't find server name for ....: No response from server - DNS Request Timed Out

Symptom: When running nslookup, you may receive this message: Can't find server name for ....: No response from server

Cause: the DNS server's reverse lookup zones do not contain a PTR record for the DNS server's IP address.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network, Internet, VPN, Routing and How to at

please explain how you set up your 1st dc and how you asre trying to add the new ones?

can you ping the other boxes by dns and wins name

CCNA MCP NET+ A+

I don't know what the proper DNS setting and reverse and forward lookup should be.

"Cause: the DNS server's reverse lookup zones do not contain a PTR record for the DNS server's IP address."
How do I fix this?

This is the error that I am getting when I try to make the second one connect.
(Failed to configure the service NETLOGON as requested.)

The first DC is set up as (Domain Controller for a new domain) then I selected (Create a new domain tree)then (Create a new forest of domain trees).

The 2nd one set up as (additional domain controller in an existing domain)

I got it working now. I think what fixed it is I did a "nslookup command and I guess it forced it to use the dns server and cached it. Any way it works great now. Thanks alot for your help. I learned a little more about W2K server from this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back