Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 200 Server tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyK

Programmer
Sep 8, 2000
VN
I use "Windows NT Server Tools" to create WinNT 4.0 user remotely on client PC running windows 98.
Now, with Windows 2000 server, i can't.
I wonder what to be updated or What is the new tool, where to download it.

Thanks a lot
Jimmy Le
nhan_tiags@yahoo.com

Not quite sure what you are after?

Using your W98 PC to create accounts on NT4 Domain
Use from the NT4Srv CDROM
\Clients\SRVTOOLS\Win95\USRMGR.EXE

Using your Win2000 PC to create accounts on NT4 Domain
Use from the NT4Srv CDROM
\Clients\SRVTOOLS\WINNT\I386\USRMGR.EXE

Using your Win2000 PC to create accounts on Win2000 AD
From the WIN2000Srv CDROM
Install \i386\Adminpak.msi
Installs AD admin tools to use

I do not believe that the tools in the Adminpak.msi will function in a Win9x environment.
(but have not tried this combo so I could be wrong)

Hi French01, and all
What i want is "Using Win98 PC to create accounts on Windows 2000 AD"
If you know the tool, pls tell me,
Thanks in advance

Jimmy Le
nhan_tiags@yahoo.com

There appear to be only 2 options I can find for you that will work with some certanty.

1. Activate Terminal Services on the Win2000 server, and install the TS client on your 98 PC. This will allow a remote control session of the server from your PC. You can now remotely use the native admin tools that are on the server console.

2. Upgrade your PC to Win2KPro. This will give you all the functionallity required. There is an upgrade path from 98 that does keep your user settings. But you would need to be confident all applications you need will function under 2000 first. This is the path I would recommend. If you are to administer in an NT world, you need to join the family.

There is a \Support\Tools\ folder on the Win2000Srv CDROM that contains the Win2000 support tools. The readme file claims that it needs to be installed on a win2000 platform but also suggests that it some of the tools can be extracted and used under Win98. There may be something of use to you in there

Good luck.
-Hugh

I'm having the same problem only I don't have NT machine's, just a 2000 server. I have tried to load the Adminpak onto a win98 machine and no it doesn't work. I get a MFC error and none of the .exe's will even load. I'm looking for a down and dirty way to upgrade to W2k professional. It seems that I read somewhere that I could do it from the W2K advanced server CD but I can't find the files anywhere.
I have 3 unused XP licenses but I don't know if adminpak will run on XP. Has anyone tried this? I would like to know before I install XP on my machine. My OS has been pretty stable for some time now and the thought of changing OS's makes me ill.

With XP or 2000 Pro you can just click start, run, type mmc, and create snap ins for connections / administration to your server.

I wasn't able to use mmc. Most likely OE on my part, but the admin tools I downloaded and using XP works just fine.

Thanks a lot everyone.

A good tool across many platforms is Dameware... Dameware can be found here You can try it for 30 days before you buy it. It also has a lot of other options in addition to just adding computer/user accounts. It's basically a one stop shop. Even has a remote control client - similar to that of PcAnywhere, however, as long as it is used on a Windows 2000 machine, does not require prior installation. Remotely it can install itself, start the service, and set other properties such as stop service on disconnect, notify/not notify user, view only modes, different screen resolutions, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back