Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 11 and Procomm Plus 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidRoork

Technical User
Oct 23, 2012
US
Hey @keyset6, I have to ask.... How did you get Procomm to work with Windows 11. I've been trying and I'm stuck.

David

Get the whole CD onto a USB Drive.
Move the Contents into a folder C:\ProcommInstallCD
Create Folder C:\Procomm Install Location
(may need to modify some security settings, but don't unless it doesn't work)

Start Install Using Setup. (May need to do Administrator)
Select the folder C:\Procomm Install Location as the folder to install to.

That should be about it.
May need to do a few "Compatibility" things with the shortcut.

The reason you need to create your own folder, is due to the security structure of "Program Files". After all, this software was Windows 98 circa? or earlier...

Also ~ Sweet tip.
If you have "start as administrator" on the Procomm Plus Link, this won't allow people to control it when you share using MS Teams/Webex Sharing. :D ~ Running with regular privileges work.

Found an old thread also, but that was on Windows 7 ~

Hey ESoare,
Thanks Dude!
I'm currently downloading Win7-32 recovery media for an old PC I have while I wait on memory for it. Then I'll try again on Win10-32.
When I get it on Win10, I'll try on Win11, but I'll need a much newer machine to run 11.

David

Hey there @DavidRoork - Sounds like esoare has ya covered. The way I did it was certainly not conventional - I think had to pull certain files like the .exe file out of the zipped file I had on my USB drive first, and not extract everything and go from there as usual. I wish I documented the procedure. My PC is still Windows 10 - but the PC I installed it on was 11. A co-worker uses Teraterm (or something like that) on his Windows 11 Pc. But it's to access an AT&T 5ESS switch that doesn't require anything like a pansi.kbd file. Also, it doesn't have the Meta keys that I like that have stored CLI commands to click on.

Hi keyset6,
Yeah, but the one I'm building is for Hicom and will need the Pansi.kbd. I have to rewrite all of those "F" keys and control sequences. I'm building an old laptop to upgrade to Win10-32 and test as I heard some stories about crashing devices when dropping the modem connections. Then I'll do a clean install to Win10-64 and test and I've requested a PC to test Win11 on.
I'll document what happens with each as I go along because I'll need to write this all up. Any time I gotta make security changes to windows folders in corporate images, I have to answer what and why and then try to make the changes as tight as possible.

David

Procomm is available on GigaTrib (FAQ)
If you do have Pansi.kbd can you please share - thanks.

FAQ -
faq965-7883

I have ANSIBBS.kbd, but that probably won't do any good. I thought I'd have pansi.kbd because years ago I'd routinely access 9006s.

@DavidRoork - now I recall having to program all of those F keys to equal the pansi.kbd! I did the same for one I made called RMX.kbd, I think for one thing Enter was Ctrl-C.
I remember doing that manually at times, and Ctrl-T was to 'log in' during the ###### when connecting at 9600, 7, E. 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back