Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 10 Task Scheduler and Stored Credentials

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainCommandLine

Technical User
Sep 24, 2008
US
I am trying to determine where Windows 10 stores the credentials for scheduled tasks and how those credentials are protected. I would have thought that they were managed in Credential Manager but they are not. Because they are needed to execute the task, I am assuming that they are not hashed in some way. I need to schedule a task to run at startup, which can only be done by storing the credentials. I would like to confirm that the credentials are stored in a secure fashion. What is the risk associated with storing credentials for tasks? Are the credentials expunged if the task is deleted? etc., etc. Might anyone have information on this? Thank you!

To add some additional information, it would appear that scheduled tasks are stored at the following location in the registry:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule

Changing the credentials (username and password) used to run a particular task results in changes to the following values:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\CredWom\x-n-n-nn-nnnnnnnnnn-nnnnnnnnnn-nnnnnnnnn-nnnnn\Index
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tasks\{xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}\Hash
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tasks\{xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}\Triggers

However, changing solely the password of an existing user account that is used to run a scheduled task results in no apparent changes in any values below the "Schedule" key. As a matter of fact, I see no associated changes anywhere in HKLM.

Using Process Monitor, I can see mmc.exe accessing the "schedule" key when a task is created or modified. I can also see svchost.exe accessing the same portions of the registry, which is probably the operating system updating the Task Scheduler service (netsvcs), itself. The lsass.exe writes to the SAM file when a task password is updated. I do not know if it is simply verifying the password entered in the task at that point or if it is somehow storing (or linking) the task credentials in the SAM.

I am still not certain where or how the password is actually stored for scheduled tasks but it does not appear to be stored in the registry--at least not in HKLM--which is a good thing.

If I create a task and have it run as a specific local admin account, that account does not appear in Credential Manager under Windows Credentials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back