Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 10 Resetting Defaults

Status
Not open for further replies.

melmitts

Programmer
Jun 18, 1999
US
Does anyone know of a way to prevent the Micro$oft Virus (aka. Windows 10) from resetting the defaults. I usually have Foxit Phantom set as default PDF and Corel Paintshop set for graphics. However, every day or so Windows claims to have a problem and resets them. I have to reboot the PC before I can reset the default. Any ideas?
Thanks
Mel

Are you setting them via Seettings/ System/ Default apps?

I have tried from the settings-system-default apps, from the settings-system default apps by type, from the programs themselves but after 1-2 days Windows 10 says it encountered a problem and HAD to reset the defaults. About 50% of the time the settings-system-default apps don't list any option other than the Microsoft software.

I guess I will just have to live with it for now...

Windows 10 did motivate me to install Linux on another computer and to get serious about learning it...

Thanks
Mel

Microsoft is the pits. I was trying to download the firefox browser and IE said it wasn't able to download it. I switched to the chrome browser ON THE SAME MACHINE and it download with no problems.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

I already tried setting up a different user account, still had the problem. Corel support says they are aware of the situation and are working with Micro$oft to correct. And as usual, no response from Foxit. Well, they say to use their User Forum but I have been Banned for Life by the Forum Administrator.
Thanks
Mel

I have to reboot the PC before I can reset the default. Any ideas?"

At least, if you use the "Open with" procedure can you avoid the need for a reboot?

So far, Micro$oft has "Accidently" installed the Windows 10 upgrade on my computer, "Accidently" excluded a critical update log file so I can't rollback the installation and makes it extremely difficult to set defaults to anything other than Micro$oft products and then they brag on how good Windows 10 is being accepted. I paid for my computer and I paid for the operating system software. I should be able to run what I want to, not what Micro$oft dictates...

actually if you read the software agreement you are leasing the software.and if you want to block windows 10 there is a great application called gwx control panel at that will permanently shut it down

Bill
New York State, USA

I have seen GWX Control and all my other computers had Automatic Updates turned off except this one I seem to have missed. I had two computers that automatically upgraded to Windows 10. One I reinstalled Windows 7 back on but learned a lesson or two about "Lifetime Licenses" as far as software is concerned. The rest are running a combination of Linux Mint and Lubuntu to see which I like best... Then I will decide in a few weeks, keep Windows 10, rollback to Windows 7 or move to Linux...
Mel

If you install GWX control, you can then turn on automatic updates (personally I think it is a good thing) and you will not get windows 10.

Bill
New York State, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back