Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 10 Lan and a Comcast phone 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cimoli

Technical User
Jul 30, 2010
US
I have had many Lan crashes which then crash my Access file. Severely.
I noticed today that the owner has a Lan wall cable from the PC to the comcast phone and then
a second cable from the phone going into the PC. In other words, using Comcast's internet phones.

On each desk except the server.

Would I be better off have the lan wall cable go directly into the PC.
And going back to a landline phone system.

I think the current phone bridge using 2 cables is causing these problems.
Usually the same time of day. 4 pm.

Any advice? thanks

I doubt it but having their own cable make's it easier to troubleshoot.

Comcast is a carrier in the states that normally provides lines, you sure they make phones?
-what model# are they? how many phones?

Maybe ask your IT/Network company to look into the Switches and Router to make sure they are setup to handle voice.

"Same time of day 4pm"
-Is the network or router programmed to reboot every 24 hours? was supposed to be programmed to 4am?
-Is call volume high at that time? maybe causing overheating.

Are you sure the Network crashes or the is it the Router/Modem?

Is your Internet connection good enough to handle the voice?

You might want to post what actual devices with model #'s (Phones and Network Hardware) you have so the guru's lurking can better help you.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Curly - thanks for the good thoughts. I saw an internet article about needing to make IP fixes for such a Comcast phone which
we buy from them. Poly something phone.

A good BestBuy fellow said something that matched my thoughts. We plugged the normal Cat5 lan cable only into the PC.
In this case 2 PC's. Then we bought a small gadget for the 2 phones which plugged into a different lan outlet.
In this manner, the phones were no longer link in the process.

So far so good. At 4 pm, everything was fine. Still is. We will see in a few days how well this works.

Thanks Glen

Polycom I consider one of the best IP phones.
I have done several sites in the same manner you had using the Phone as the Hub for the PC and have never heard of any issues.
In these case's they were Juniper routers with Netgear switches.

What is the "Gadget" you installed?
A mini Switch?/Hub?

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

12/2/18 Hi Curly. It is a netgear GS605 box. Small gadget with 5 plugs in the rear.

When the 2nd owner gets back, we want to find out how he programmed the phones to shut down
at 5 pm and then they go automatic for receiving incoming calls after hours.

When we get our problems around 4 pm or 4:30 pm, one must consider day light savings time.
So maybe he had it for 5 pm which is now 4 pm.

we will know in the next few days if the phone arrangement was the source or not of the crashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back