Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 10 Adoption closing in on Windows XP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like that's damning Windows 10 with faint praise. Windows 10 is almost equal to Windows XP - a 14 year old operating system. With Windows 7 still at such a high percentage, it might suggest that people aren't that enthused about change every few years. A sentiment that I would agree with. If Windows 7 never changed and was supported/upated, I'd personally be happy.

Windows 7 is the new Windows XP

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

I'd have to agree with Goomb, While Windows XP was an excellent OS more so after SP2, comparing an almost 15 year old discontinued product to anew Flag ship one in terms of adoption numbers is saying more about the old one than the new one. Its like saying sales of a brand new top of the line Car are catching up to the usage numbers of a 1985 model. How is that good for the new car?

That just says Windows XP can still hold its own even 14 years after its introduction.

And yes at this point almost 50% of all computers in the world are running Windows 7.

Now, I happen to think Windows 10 is quite good. Its still got a ways to go before reaching the level of maturity XP has, but its well on its way.

Its very stable in my experience, and still has many of the under the hood features and tweaks XP had.

With continued support and updates, I'm sure it can be as good as XP was, and 7 currently is.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Yeah. Did you notice that Windows XP has almost as much market share as Windows 8? As Seinfeld would say, "What's with that?"

==================================
adaptive uber info galaxies (bigger, better, faster, and more adept than cognitive innovative agile big data clouds)

The majority of Windows installs are in corporates - and they are slow to move (my company, for example, still hasn't completed it's rollout of W7 to replace XP). You'll appreciate that the desktop market, which the linked article refers to, is not the same thing as the home market.

Steam stats might give a better picture of the home market - and there W7 (32bit and 64bit combined) are a shade under 45%, with W10 (32 and 64) on about 34%. The next highest contender is W8.1 on 17%. XP trails by a long way at 2.28%

Steam stats are a good gauge for the PC gaming market, not the home market as a whole. Gamers are in a different league from the average home user, as they need to keep hardware/software current to play the latest games at a respectable frame rate. Your basic home user, on the other hand (think mother-in-law), is not likely to have the incentive or capability to move from one OS to the next, at least not as frequently as a corporation or gamer.

Most of us agree that Windows 7, not Vista or 8.1, is the best successor to XP. Although it has been around for 6.5 years, XP still holds a significant market share. What does that tell us? It says Windows 7 isn't going anywhere anytime soon, and until Microsoft can incorporate a boatload of must-have features, no future version of Windows is ever going to cause a mass exodus from a previous version. We shouldn't be surprised by the numbers. Even if Windows 10 had zero flaws, the numbers wouldn't be that great this early, which is why I'm not sure why journalists waste time commenting on this.

Steam stats are a good gauge for the PC gaming market, not the home market as a whole.
Statistics can be quite odious given the wrong sample.

There are very few legitimate journalists today. You have independent bloggers on the fringes and you have media corporation operatives, with little in between.

The media flacks are doing little but repackaging paid Microsoft press releases. We saw this with amazing adoption numbers touted for Windows 8 and 8.1 too, and once the pressure was off it was revealed how unrealistic those figures were. The trick isn't publishing fake figures, it is selectively reporting figues while obscuring their context.

Most of the "news" out there is really marketing.

You mean the weather gal on TV is getting kickbacks from the grocery store for predicting snow and ice? Or is it more subtle - the grocery chain agrees to advertise on the TV station in exchange for the media company creating a snow emergency that results in a mad rush to clear all the milk, bread, and eggs out of the store.

As Scott Garceau says, "follow the money". It's all about the money.

adaptive uber info galaxies (bigger, better, faster, and more adept than cognitive innovative agile big data clouds)

Seriously, as much as we liked XP (basic, solid), when MS pulled it out of the loop for all but the most critical security fixes, that signaled its eventual end.

Add to it that XP didn't get upgrades for some newer features - the enlarged 4K sector HDD format is one that comes to mind - then that was added incentive to upgrade eventually.

I figure offering free upgrades from versions 7 & 8 helped Win 10 too.

I wonder if they're counting unsold computers with Windows 10 pre-installed that are sitting on the shelves or in warehouses for Walmart, Best Buy, Staples, Office Depot, etc. Wouldn't surprise me one byte.

Regarding XP, there are no spying "diagnostics" for Windows XP, and the federal government has a special deal with Microsoft for continuing XP support. As Seinfeld would say, "What's with that?"

Is the eventual retirement of commercial XP the beginning of a proprietary government OS based on XP? Don't bet against it.

If you want to see a government controlled OS, look at RedStar, an OS based on Fedora and created and used by North Korea.

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

XP is dead unless you are paying money like the U.S. Navy does out of desperation. If they are smart they have already fired and blacklisted all of the contractors who locked them into XP.

No, XP is not dead as the percentages bear out. As always, the source/survey may show different numbers.
Link
There are real, live everyday Americans, etc. using it at home. They don't heed the security warnings. Never mind the business installations stuck in time.

Probably all sorts of blackhats "using XP" as well, crawling around inside the zombied and trojaned XP systems around the globe.

I wonder if the statistics actually account for the number of VMs people use. At my previous workplace, I had 60 XP VMs. If all you're running is specific tools, it doesn't matter what os you're running as long as those tools are supported.

Probably all sorts of blackhats "using XP" as well, crawling around inside the zombied and trojaned XP systems around the globe.
Sarcasm or not???

Not sarcasm. There are now tons of known XP security holes that will never be patched, with new ones uncovered month by month.

If you are running a zombie-farm spambot network, XP is clearly the platform to target.

But, you really haven't heard about people being exploited because they are running XP. There are no feature stories on the news about it - how you need to get off XP, the ticking time bomb.

Huh? There have been tons of such stories in the nearly two years now since the death of XP. Example: Home Depot, Target breaches exploited Windows XP flaw, report says.

Temporary emergency measure were outlined by many, such as Best Practices for Secure Use of Windows XP Now That Support Has Ended. Those are now obsolete. The threat level is much higher due to the growing backlog of unpatched known vulnerabilities today.

You need to stop telling yourself you are safe. You are not and have not been for quite a while. This has been shouted to the skies so there is no excuse for claiming ignorance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back