Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

window98 laptop go into log in window when powered up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

MIS
Nov 2, 1999
US
I've one laptop does not go into the log in screen, I've to log out before I see the log in window, I've checked the log in NT domain and type in the domain name.
I've also check the LMSCRIP.EXE file it see to be OK.
What could be the problem.

Thanks

I've had this behaviour if:

Network properties\Primary network logon
set to "Windows"
AND
Windows password is set to null (blank)

end result =
1.boot
2.logon time arrives
3.primary logon into windows first
4.windows does not require a password because this user's windows password is set to nothing
5.windows passes on the microsoft logon credentials for this user through to the domain using windows password cashing.
6.access to all domain resourses until... you change the domain password.

to resolve:
either change the windows password to anything at all, to force the password dialogue box to appear

or

at Network properties\Primary network logon
select Microsoft Network logon

Hope it helps
-Hugh

This laptop behave little different, I have the primay network logon: set to client for mirosoft networks.
However, the boot up process just blew by the logon screen goes straight into the windows destop. Still wondering what cause this behavior and I've compared all network setting with couple of other laptops all three have the same settings.

Sorry, you have not declared what OS the laptop client is running. My previous was assuming a Win9x client to a NT SRV

What happens if you change the password of the network account the client is using?

Try deleting all .pwl files (all user password files) this will force a new login screen and you'll need to create a password.

Another possibility is if you have "power toys" installed which can be set to remember logins and blows right by the screen.

This is window98 laptop logging into NT4 domain. I've changed the password of the network account. Still don't get the login screen until log off user. I've also deleted all the PWL lines in the system.ini file and the all the *.pwl files.
Nothing seem to bring the login screen at boot up.

Puzzled:-(

This extract from the Win98 resource kit documentation:

"Windows 98 provides a single unified logon prompt that allows the user to log on to all networks and Windows 98 at the same time. The first time a user starts Windows 98, there are separate logon prompts for each network, as well as one for Windows 98. If these passwords are made identical, the system logon prompt for Windows 98 is not displayed again."

It's called password caching.

Here is how the Resource Kit describes how to turn in on manually. To turn it off, reverse the process described.

"To set up password caching of network passwords
1. In Control Panel, double-click Network.
2. In Primary Network Logon, select Windows Logon, and then click OK.
3. In Control Panel, double-click Passwords, click Change Windows Password, and then click OK.
4. Make your Windows password blank, and then click OK two times.
5. Restart your computer.
6. When asked for a password to log on to Windows 98, enter a password, and then press OK.
7. For each network prompt, enter your network password and make sure the check box for Save this password in your password list is selected."

Remember this is to turn caching on so "do not save password" in step 7 is what you are after

Hope it helps
-Hugh

I've follow all those steps. At boot up I never able to see any type of log in window or othewise.:-(

Try changing the windows password at step 3 to a non-blank password.

Search your registry for a setting called AutoLogon and change its value, it will either be 0 or 1. If its 0 change it to 1 and visa versa

see my last posting

Reboot after making the registry change

Hello Solo,

The value mentionned by MarcS1 will be in:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Good luck S. Gagner
MIS
A+ MCP

Hi Solo

I suggest your problem is, that this laptop does not correctly logon to the NT Server. If this is the case, then I have a solution to your problem. Please try the following steps:

1. Start the registry editor
2. Choose the section "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\Network"
3. Chose the entry "Real Mode Net"
4. if you have an entry called "AutoLogon", delete it.
5. if you have an entry called "transport", modify this entry with the protocol (e.g. "*tcpip," or "*netbios,")

I hope, this should fix your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back