Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Window XP Icons Missing - Unless I restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

bherriot

Technical User
Aug 7, 2002
US
I have seen this a couple of times on different makes of PCs and Laptops. After logging in to Windows XP Pro, the wallpaper and menubar will startup, and the mouse cursor is working, but No Icons will appear on the desktip. After restarting sometimes more than once, the Icons on the desktop will appear. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this. It doesnt happen everytime.

Thanks

Sorry, i posted a solution but lost the connection. anyway, try right clicking the desktop->arrange icons. make sure that "show desktop icons is checked. if it is then uncheck it and check it again.
hope this helps. -God Bless

I understand this suggestion, but the problem is that it only does this when turning on or loggin on the first time in the morning. If we do a restart on the computer then it comes up fine. I have seen this on more than one pc. Any other ideas???

If you log in to your PC through a Novell client for example this can happen.
Explorer.exe doesn't start (although a reboot alone shouldn't solve this problem,but modifying the login script should).
Anyway when it happens try to bring up task manager and run explorer.exe manually - thus avoiding the reboot.

I have a very similar problem.

When I first loggin it the everything works fine but the icons don't appear for the first minute. After that they come up. I checked the Task List and explorer.exe is running.

Try waiting a couple minutes see if comes up.

The problem is definately the explore.exe not starting, I was able to have the user bring up the desktop by starting this process from Task Manager. Does anyone have a solution on how to make this start correctly.

Thanks in Advance.

WHEN explorer.exe loads (if you uncover it) may have a bearing. Can you move it up (or down) in the loading processes by using msconfig?
Also, tried looking in Event Viewer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back