Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Window sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigandfat

Technical User
Feb 7, 2002
CA
I have been unable to get Paradox Runtime 10 to open up full screen since playing with screen size resolution. I am running Windows 2000. Does Paradox save a resolution size at install?

Thanks in advance

bigandfat,

Both Paradox and Runtime record the size of the Desktop window in the Registry, though in different places.

In my experience, there are two most-effective ways to start Paradox (or Runtime applications) maximized:

1. Change the properties of the shortcut that starts your application so they open the program in a maximized window. To do this, right-click the shortcut, choose Properties, set Run to Maximized, and then Apply your changes.

If you do this, the Desktop should maximize automatically when you start the program.

2. Add code to your application's main form that maximizes the application. Something like this should work:

Code:
var
  app  Application
endVar

app.Maximize()

To use this approach for Paradox itself, simply create and save a new script containing the above code and then add the fully qualified filename of your script to the Target setting of your main Paradox shortcut/icon. (For more information, please see
Personally, I prefer the second approach for it remains under my control. since my Paradox work generally involves programming, I like to have the environmental details at my disposal. Not only does this remind me when I have to maintain a system over time, but it also avoids having to mess around with the user's (or my) Windows environment.

There is a third way to do this, if you're brave. You can modify the Registry settings to achieve this, however, there are different branches for Paradox and for Runtime and the settings are not well documented. I do have the documentation somewhere in my archives, but I can't seem to lay my hands on it at the moment. (When working as a tech writer for Borland, I created a document called SETTINGS.TXT that shipped with a version of Paradox. This outlines the basic settings and values of the configuration settings used at the time. While a few of these have changed over time, the main ones are still in use. If you can find that file, it will help determine the appropriate values for the Registry.

(I'll continue trying to find it in my archives, but I'll be honest: This first two approaches are your best bet. I don't like messing around with the Registry unless it's truly necessary. Your milage may vary.)

Hope this helps...

-- Lance

Thanks Lance, I am able to change the windows size by modifying the Paradox runtime properties in the start menu ( W2000 ) and it will open full screen ( 1024 X 768 Res ) however from the desktop the window is still less than full screen. It seems that Windows? has saved the screen size in pixels and opens a window that was full size at 800 X 600 ( at intallation )but at 1024 X 768 is no longer full size. If so, is that what is saved in the registry? I cannot find any reference to window sizing in file association or desktop icon properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back