Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

window option upon bootup 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redneck

Technical User
Jan 14, 2001
US
Tried to install Windows 2000 and it gave me an error and so I terminated the install. Have Windows 98SE currently installed and when I boot up there is always a window that comes up where I must make a choice between Win 98SE or Win 2000. Since I do not have Win 2000 installed I have to arrow up to Win 98 to continue the bootup. The default is Win 2000 and if I do not make the change within whatever time I put in boot.ini it boots to the default of Win 2000 wherein I have to reboot. I played with the boot.ini file to see if changes in there would make a difference but it didn't.

How can I delete this option and have it go back to win 98 as the default upon bootup where I do not have to make a manual input upon each bootup?

Thanks.

Redneck

to make it default, right click on my computer and go to properties, in there there is a tab called 'Startup/shutdown'. In this tab you will see the default option that is current, change this in here to make 98 default. To get rid of the line in the boot.ini file, just delete it...as shown in this pic...
hope this helps!!! Jay~

"I have to think of a funny footer to
put in here!!!???"

~KeyTech

Boot to your startup disk. Change to C:
At the C:\ prompt, type: fdisk /mbr
Delete boot.ini Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Jim

Your suggestion got rid of the option window. However, with that gone it now gives me a "Cannot start Windows 2000...missing or corrupt file. Reinstall...

<Windows 2000 root> system32\ntoskrnl.exe

I cannot find this file or any windows 2000 sub directory.

So I redid boot.ini so that I could boot up again. Now how do I get rid of this problem of not being able to get past this stoppage?

Redneck

At a DOS prompt type attrib boot.ini -r -h -s
Next type:
delete boot.ini
then restart. Since win98 does not use the boot.ini you should be able to delete it. Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Boot from the startup disk and run SYS C: solved the problems. Thanks for the tips. Another success story from this site.

Thanks.

Redneck...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back