Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Window is really slow booting up on a laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

lottie246

Technical User
Apr 6, 2000
GB
Please help me I have a dell laptop and every time I boot it up it takes ages, it takes even longer when it is docked up to 15 mins.

I have a ton of Dell's and all the laptops do this.  Try disabling the autoprotect on start up for the A drive. Also try a flash bios upgrade from the Dell website.

I can understand slow booting, but 15 minutes when docked!!!<br><br>Run the MSCONIFG utility and see what stuff is loading up during start-up. Try disabling several of them and see if the performance gets any better. How do the laptops look memory and hard drive free space wise? What part of the process or where does it seem to stagnate during boot up. Before or after login? Loading the desktop? During realmode (doubtful)or POST? Does booting up in Safe Mode appear much faster?<br><br>Let us know.<br><br><br>dxd<br><br>

Have you tried to bootup and log the boot up procedure.&nbsp;&nbsp;You probably have drivers, or components of Windows failing to load on bootup.

I will let you know whaty happens when I next see the laptop I am just trying to get off the user who seems very attached to it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back