Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

window installer appears every time a program started 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

arsjr

IS-IT--Management
Oct 14, 2002
US
is there any body that knows what to do

Thank You

This usually happens when the required registry entries are not found. The program will run an MSI to correct the problem. I have seen this most commonly happen when a copy of Windows 2000 is installed on top of itself and the original registry was written over while the exe's, ini's, dll's etc...of the programs still exist. The problem could potentially fix itself or some programs may need to be re-installed. Some of the Microsoft installer files are located under c:\winnt\installer if you want to take a closer look.

JR4VB, good call. I've seen this also. Everytime a machine was started, it wanted to install Outlook. Finally just installed outlook, problem solved. Here's a star.
[cheers]

Glen A. Johnson
"Give the laziest man the hardest job and he'll find the easiest way to do it."

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

I have just encountered this problem when I took a HDD from a dead Dell P4 and installed it into a clone system I build for my client. I had to run a 2nd lvl repair on the OS and that went smoothly until I had rebooted. At this point in time the "dell backup program" installer continued to pop up. I then went to the MS updates site and installed Win 2K service pack 4 and all popup were gone and all programs ran fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back