Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Window - Delayed Write Failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

YALIOU

Programmer
Jun 26, 2003
US
Hi, I got the error message after I reboot the computer.
It's won't start window xp and keep getting error
message. Window-Delayed write failed "Window was unable
to save all the data for the file c:\winnt\system32
\config. The data have been lost. This error may be
cause by failure of your computer hardware or network
connection, please try to save this file elsewhere".
When this error message coming up, I click OK button then
this error message goes away and computer show blue
screen. After few second, this error messeage coming up
again. I keep click ok. The computer just won't start
window xp. What's wrong? Please help?

Hey, I just got the same problem. This is a brand-new Dell Optiplex - Win XP Pro - 2.4 Gb chip - I re-booted because my mouse stopped working. As the machine shut down, I got 20-30 "Windows - Delayed Write failed" each message noting a different file that has been lost. What goes? Is this a hardware failure? Or is it a continuation of XP's inability to co-exist with the ATI video card Dell packaged with this machine. Each time I installed a certain Windows Security update, the video failed & reverted back to VGA resolution 640 by 480. There are also discussions about disabling write-behind caches but I cannot log in to check that. I am even getting warnings that this Windows install needs to be activated. The XP Pro came pre-installed from Dell & I activated it. So that's where I'm at right now.
Colin C.

Hi
I started having this error about 2 weeks ago, and today finally got to solve it.
I installed the latest drivers of the controler card (promise tx2) It was painfull because win XP would not acept the new drivers so I had to go and change the name of the pnpscsi.inf file and reboot the system and then direct the hardware wizzard to the new driver file.
Carlos

CAUSE
This issue may be caused if any of the following conditions exist:
. The "Enable write caching on the disk" feature for your disk is turned on.
. Your Ultra Direct Memory Access (UDMA) hard disk controller is configured in either of the following ways:
. You are using a 40-wire connector cable to connect the UDMA drive to the controller instead of the required 80-wire, 40-pin cable.
. Your BIOS settings are configured to force faster UDMA modes.

If you can't start in normal mode see if Safe Mode will let you in.

Thread779-379610
Thread779-402046
Thread779-396046
Thread779-453520

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back