Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

window 98 SE mouse freeze when dialing up

Status
Not open for further replies.

catsantjane

Technical User
Feb 15, 2006
US
Every thing is wonderful until I connect to the internet. I have no mouse all that works is crtl + alt + delete. Window reloads normally. I have check for device problems and have reinstalled over org. This was all working fine for months and month, slow but working. Under system devices I have an exclamation mark on advaced power maagement support, other than that no other ? or ! Memory is 92% free.
No PC Cards(PCMCIA)socket installed. Need advice
4.103222a
genuinelntel Pentium(r) Processor 32.0MB Ram
hardware profile (Original Configuration)
Ports (COM & LPT)
Communications Port (COM1), 2, 4
Mouse Standard Serial Mouse

Oh, and forgot to mention I can't reboot now. Have to shut down and restart. It goes to sleep. Nothing I do will start it again expect power off on

So when you switch power on, how far does it get? POST screen, starting Windows 98? Can you invoke the Micro$oft Menu (DOS) which offers amongst others, Safe Mode?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Yes, finally can do that. it will open window desktop and I can do most anything in windows. I ran a couple of test and I didn't have a modem(it says it loaded but I haven't verified that yet, opti 931MB Audio 16 (on list twice with ?!. I have already updated some of the but still working on some of the others. Advanced Power Management support is one I can't find. I ran bug doctors again and it says Invalid 1 CLSID amd 3 missing shortcuts. No when I run nuts and bolts Diagnostics it says
serial passed
parallel passed
hard drive passed
ram passed and system passed
all test is ok.
But I have duplicates in my hardware device properties. I have opti audio 16. my advanced power management support has Powerd.vxd, power.drv that will not load. If I go to update device driver wizard, show compatible hardware nothing in the box. I do have other choose under show all hardware. I am still working on that.

If you remember when I started this forum before I lost my power and everything happened. I was only trying to get my mouse to work on internet explorer. Now it still doesn't work but work on window as it did before. But now If I go to restart it will not boot back to window. I have to shut down and turn power off and back on. It does fine then. But now I don't know which problem to address first the mouse to get on line or the reboot or this other mess.

I have to shut down computer power to reboot system. When I do it comes up to Wizard searches for new drivers for:
OPTI 931MB Audio 16
next: Search for the best drivers for this Device: floppy can't find device D: unable to locate. If you do want to install driver now (next) Unknown Device ? WINDOWS HAS NOT INSTALLED A DRIVER.
Finish: Wizzard searches for new drivers for: (next) same old thing from there on. Cancel
Display a list of all drivers Next List under display adapters None of these found
If I load it adds OPTI 931MB Audio 16 with a ? in Driver list in system Properties with a !.

PCI VGA COMPATIBLE DISLAY ADAPTER
in system properties !
I have search list both floppy and d.
multimedia properties under device
Audio show nothing in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back