Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

window 98 SE mouse freeze when dialing up

Status
Not open for further replies.

catsantjane

Technical User
Feb 15, 2006
US
Every thing is wonderful until I connect to the internet. I have no mouse all that works is crtl + alt + delete. Window reloads normally. I have check for device problems and have reinstalled over org. This was all working fine for months and month, slow but working. Under system devices I have an exclamation mark on advaced power maagement support, other than that no other ? or ! Memory is 92% free.
No PC Cards(PCMCIA)socket installed. Need advice
4.103222a
genuinelntel Pentium(r) Processor 32.0MB Ram
hardware profile (Original Configuration)
Ports (COM & LPT)
Communications Port (COM1), 2, 4
Mouse Standard Serial Mouse

I would reccomend putting more ram into that sometime but in the mean time go here and run a full system scan. Also before doing that put your system disc in, go to start, run, then type sfc and hit enter. Then scan for missing or corrupted files. If it replaces any restart the computer and then go to the link below.

It did replace one and I for the life of me can't tell you what. system?.dll. But it didn't fix problem. I can't get online with that computer. What else is there to do with this.

If you can copy and antivirus and antispyware on there and run them, like avg, avast, antivir for antivirus either one of those and adaware , spybot for spyware and run them see what you find. Your probally infected with something.

All ready did that. No infected files for virus. But I did find some tracking item I deleted. I had adware 6.0 on computer already. I hate to have to clean install as I know it is a nightmare. Still doing some scanning. What is so funny about all of it is never used except to upload item to ebay one item at a time. No surfing or emails nothing. It has nothing stored on it except few pictures. It runs great until I dial the minute I dail it locks up totally. Still need help if you can think of something. I will for sure try.

Have you emptied the temp folder? Location in case you havent is c, windows, temp (delete everything in the folder just dont delete the temp folder itself)

Also try deleting your dial up connection and making a new one.

I have cleaned and deleted all temps, cookies, history. And now I have deleted all the other files the way you said. Still can't move mouse or keyboard(except for up and down arrows and cntrl alt delete, F1.
The only thing I have found so far is a problem with serial port 1. And I can't figure out what. All I can find out is it failed.

com 1 I have Driver files
c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SERIAL.VXD
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32/VXD (vcomm.vxd)
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SERIALUI.DLL
In properites I have this device is working properly.

was hoping this was the problem I think this is ok.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\Exefile\Shell\Open\Command
default "%1" %*
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Exefile\Shell\Open\Command
default "%1" %*

You say you have "Communications Port (COM1), 2, 4". Can you be more specific.

1). Do you mean you have COM1, COM2 and COM4 ?

2). Are these just logical, and/or physical ports?

3). What IRQs are allocated to all these ports? E.g. IRQ 4, IRQ 3, etc.

4). Check the addresses, e.g. 3F8, 2F8, etc.

Without manual intervention, COM2 and COM4 often end up trying to share an IRQ. This is bad news. Allocate a free, unique address and IRQ for each COM port.

Hope that helps...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Not sure I know how to tell what your asking. in system properties under ports I have COM1, COM2, COM3.
COM1 STANDARD PORT TYES VERSION NOT AVAILABLE
Device Status (this device is working properly.)
Under resouces
input/output range 03f8-03ff
interrrupt resquest 04
NO Conflict

COM2 all the same in general
resources
input/output range 02f8 - 02ff
interrupt request 03
no conflict

COM4 Same as other 2 in general
resources
input/output range 02e8 - 02ef
interrupt Request 03
no conflicts.

the rest you will have to help me find. Not sure what I am doing here.

Still need help.
Changed the address on drives still the same. Only have 2 chooses to change to.
Com1 can't be modified
com2 can't be modified
com4 only can be changed to 3 or 5 (5 disables dailup completely)
I had an old disk of nuts and bolts. After scanning it says that Driver C: Errors
Extended Boot Sector is out of sync.
No I for sure don't know what I supposed to do. I know enough to get in big trouble. Any help is appreciated.

Only thing I can guess is you have a hard drive that is dying. If so nothing you do will fix permately only temp like for a day or 2. If you keep getting errors everytime you run or load scandisc or the computer then most likely the drive is failing. I havent responded to anything else for I do not know anything further to say then what I have just said. I do think your drive is failing though.

The drive errors you're reporting could be the cause of the problem, or in addition to the mouse stopping.

Get the drive fixed as a number one priority. Copy your data off first, then try and maybe copy the whole disk to a new one.

You don't say what you have plugged into COM2, if anything. Is COM2 being used? Does it by chance have the mouse plugged into it...? This port is sharing an IRQ (3) with COM4. As I said before, this is usually bad news. If you do indeed have the mouse on COM2, then your modem connection on COM4 is latching onto IRQ3 and not letting go. Hence no mouse.

When you say it "can't be modified", where exactly are you trying to modify it?

I'd have thought your best bet would be to use COM1 for the mouse, and leave COM2 unused.

Hope that helps...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

I understand you position. I am the same way.
Yesterday, I got mad and change some net beui and tcp/ip setting. I could not believe it I got on the internet and mouse moved but in a jerky manner, but I never could get it to open a page. If I can get it to open I can run some bug test from there. I tried to save house calls on disk and transfer it to that computer but that did not work. I am also at a loss. I hate to spend money on it when it needs to be updated anyway or trashed. Thanks for all you help, if you come up with anything. Please send it to me. I will try.

Housecall is an online virus scanner, it runs from the site you cant save it on a computer like a normal program. It does not work that way, it must have a connection to online and be at the site in order to run it.

I understand I figured it was but thought I would try. Now I am trying to download Some microsoft for clsid. I finally got bug doctor to scan it can't use it to fix but at least I have a trail to find. It gave me errors for CLSID 4 ERRORS. So I am trying to get this fixed which may be the problem. I get 86% downloaded and it stops. I am making a new disk now to try to get it to down load. But this remains to be seen. Let you know if I get it to work. Keep thinking now has got to be a challenge, I hate to be beat. Don't you

Did you try putting in a pci modem? It could be hardware.

Well right now I am in way over my head. I don't even have a clue how to straighten this mess out. I was right in the middle of deleteing stuff when boom my power went out. Stay off for some time and came back up. I lost it all, crash boom bang. Now I have got only what was on my boot floppy. No dll's no cab's nothing. I only have 98se cd. I'm running away from home.. If you can help I will definitely listen. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back