Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

window 98 se .i have no product key ie 25 digits

Status
Not open for further replies.

dano43

Technical User
Jul 15, 2002
US
if you can help me i would greatly appreciate it.i have a window 98/se copy disk but no product key.unable to run system without product key.

Can you get into windows? If not you'll need to call Microsoft to get a new key.

thankyou keno for your time.i guess i was hoping someone knew how to use windows se and obtained a product key from a private source.

There shouldn't be any 'private keys' for Win98, that would actually be called piracy.

Kento's question "Can you get into windows?" is pertinent and should have been answered because the key can be retrieved from the registry, but only if Win98 is running.

I can actually get it from DOS with a little program I've had for a number of years.

The registry is too large to fit on anything but a hard drive, Zip disk, or CD.

If Win9x/ME has never been installed there will be no registry to retrieve the key from, so as Kento says, call Microsoft.

Try someone elses key ... NOT mine mind you ... but it should work.

One other minor point, the CD Key may be specific to the version of Win98SE and not work on others, i.e., the OEM version, the Retail version, the Upgrade version, or the Updates version.

And Badger's sugestion of using someone elses key is also piracy, if caught it is punishable by time in Federal Prison. I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back