Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WINDOW 7 SLEEP MODE. IS THIS NORMAL??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckes101

Technical User
Feb 8, 2006
GB
Hi every one and thank you for taking the time to look at my thread. I have installed Windows 7 on a few machines now and have noticed something strange(at least to me). If i put the machines in sleep mode (or the machine goes into sleep mode by itself) it looks like the machine has switched itself completely off. What i mean by this is the CPU fan is stopped , the psu fan stopped and every light on the PC(inc cooling fans are all off) at first i thought the machine had indeed shut down completely so when i pressed the power button the machine just resumed from what it was doing before sleep mode. I am just curious about this because when XP used to do the sleep thing i could still here the PSU and case fans running. Has anyone else come across this??

This XP thread has some interesting observations of the facts you are talking about and might be worth a glance.

S3 Sleep in Windows XP.
thread779-1469199

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I have spent this afternoon investigating this S3 issue. And it would appear that it is the motherboard BIOS that enables S3 sleep. The reason my XP machine did not do it was because the mobo did not support S3 sleep. but when i upgraded a few machines to W7 i also changed the mobo's. So in my findings S3 sleep is a BIOS thing. Thank you for the link in your reply it explains it in good detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back