Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Winbind user weirdness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jalapeno

MIS
Nov 12, 2001
US
I have an internal ftp server that I have winbind set up to use. Several users are using it. However, I have 2 users that cannot login. When I do a "getent passwd", I get the list of users, including the 2 that are the problem. They do have the correct UID. However, if I do a "getent passwd username" on the 2 problem users, no user name is found. When I do an "ls -ltr" on user home directories, all of them look fine except the 2 problem users. They show up as being owned by the UID instead of the user name. If I do a chown username:group directoryname, it says "username not found"

I have done extensive renaming of these 2 users on the windows domain, seeing if uppercase letters, blank characters, etc, might be the issue, but all letters are now lowercase in the username and it still is not mapping correctly. I'm really at a loss at this point, I have over 100 users working correctly and only 2 that do not. Any ideas?

Are the 2 username in /etc/passwd ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

So you have to ask your sysadmin why you have 2 user home directories belonging to non-existent users.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

I am the sysadmin and the users do exist on the NT domain. They also do list out when you do a getent passwd. But for whatever reason, Linux does not seem to want to recognize those 2 users.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back