Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

winampa.exe and netbios disabler

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwong

Programmer
Apr 16, 2002
CR
Hi there,

I have a small network of 5 or 6 Pcs. A couple of days ago, two of the computers lost connection to the server and the other pcs, printers, etc. The internet was working fine except if you try to browse places like etc.
I uninstalled and reinstalled the TCP/IP protocol and networking started to work again but it lasted a few hours
My corporate Norton AV detected a couple of viruses in these two computers w32.bropia.j and w32.spybot, I quarantined them and deleted them.
Also, I found the file winampa.exe running on the task manager, since I do not have winamp I stopped, cleared all entries from the registry, but I was unable to find the exe file, neither in the winnt folder nor the system32 nor the entire system.
The virus is propagating all over the network and I have been unable to detect it. The norton scans return nothing.

Does anybody know something about this kind of behavior

thanks,

Rick

Thanks Lloyd

Since last week, I am still struggling to get rid of this virus. I decided to isolate one computer and format the other one reinstalling all applications. In just a few hours the winampa.exe file reappared an also I notice a tcp connection to the ip no. 70.84.64.74 port 5190. The norton antivirus (with the latest update) still not detects anything, neither the stinger from mcafee.
I have also detected files like exe.exe and important.exe in my c: drive.

Does anybody have a clue about this virus?

thanks,

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back