Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win9x to WinXP File Sharing issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

endyem

IS-IT--Management
Sep 12, 2009
US
I was recently recruited to help administer a POS system that uses a mix of 2 terminals running WinXP Embedded, 1 terminal running Win9x, with a server running WinXP Home. These are all configured for "simple sharing" and in the same workgroup. All are configured for auto-login. These machines run on their own network with no other connections.

I have a sticky problem with file sharing that I can't seem to resolve with any of the info in the FAQ.

The WinXP machines can mount a share on any box, including each other. The Win9x and WinXP Home boxes can only mount a share on each other (not the WinXP Emb boxes). When trying to connect to the WinXP Emb boxes from Win9x, I get a "\\machine_name\IPC$" dialog box asking for a password (re-entering the password doesn't work). This seems to indicate a Windows credentialing problem since the XP Emb box doesn't like the Win9x credentials. The WinXP Emb machines have a user with the same user and password as logged in on the Win9x box, and Guest account is enabled on these machines.

Any suggestions on what policy or other setting needs to change to allow the file shares to work all directions?

Thanks!

As you stated, this is an indication that enabling Simple File Sharing might solve the problem.
Also the Guest Account should be enabled. After they've been checked it gets complicated.

Is there any firewall blocking connections on the pc you are trying to access?

Fix that darn IPC$ error

See what you have set in Group Policy.

Computer Configuration / Windows Settings / Security Settings / Local Policies / User Rights Assignments

Have a look at these type of settings and set them to your needs.

The Everyone group must be present in "Access this computer from the network"
Deny access to this computer from the Network - remove guests.
Allow Log on Locally - add Everyone group.

Other policies to look at might be these?

Network access: Sharing and security model for local accounts Guest - local users authenticate as themselves

Network security: LAN Manager authentication level Send LM & NTLM responses

Network security: LDAP client signing requirements Negotiate signing

I had this following note from years ago as something to try but I never took it any further. It is quite vague but I'll share it with you for what it is worth.

If the computer is networked but not part of a domain, you may need to map a connection to the computer's IPC$ share by using that computer's local administrator credentials before you can attach with Regedt32.exe as described below. To map a connection to the computer's IPC$ share, use the following command:

net use \\remote_computer_name\IPC$ /user:administrator *

net use \\remote_machine_name\IPC$ /user:administrator *

That is a pretty good question. I have something similar situation going on with 3 different Operating systems of Win2k, Win98, and Win XP. The goal is to either put them all on the same network to gain access via IP connection or use PC Anywhere to to make a connection to all systems from an primay system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back