Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win9x Logon Scripts and Home Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

phong256

IS-IT--Management
Jul 11, 2002
GB
I am shortly to upgrade our company network to Win2k. I have setup a trial lab to test for issues etc.

Currently I am testing Win9x clients logging onto the 2000 domain. I can't seem to configure a 'Home Folder/Drive' for the clients... nor can I get any batch scripts to work (I am using a .bat file located in the sysvol / domain name / scripts share. I can connect to shared folders by using the start / run / URL facility, but thats about it. I can't even browse the network through the 'Network Neibourhood'

I'm I running into problems because these clients are 9x and not 2k?

Can anyone help?

Thank you.

Marcus

On our company network we have a mixed OS's of Win98, 2000, and XP. I have no problems browsing the network from the 98 systems. On this trial server... is DNS, DHCP, and or WINS setup properly? On the 98 systems are they properly configured to log on to this "trial" domain? In ADUAC on the server is the proper login script specified for that user account? Do you actually see the login scripts run at all?

For the home directory's I use "NET USE U: /HOME" in the login script.

It's hard for me to visualize what your problem is but... I hope I have been able to help by asking a few questions.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. The clients are using dchp / wins / dns etc correctly - and are set to logon to the correct domain name... so I don't know why they can't browse. I'm sure it's something silly I have missed!

Just as a metter of interest, where have you got your login scripts - are they in sysvol/dnsname/scripts folder, and are they .bat files?

Also when you mentioned you had set up home drives using the Net Use I: /home command - does this need to be present aswell as the entry in the user account profile "Home Folders; Connect..." in the 2K ADUAC, or is this just for Win2k clients?

Thanks again.
Marcus

Ballchops

Seems to be working now - it was a silly mistake... client was looking for an incorrect domain!

Got the logon scripts working too!

Thanks again

Marcus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back