Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win98se Shutdonw Problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinkertech

Technical User
Oct 29, 2002
US
Got this old AT PC running Win98se. The system reboots fine, but when I go to shut down, it only goes as far as "windows shutting down" screen. Not the usual "it is safe to turn off you machine now". Any clues on how to overcome that and make it give me the final screen?

For every problem there is a solution, for every solution there is a tech behind it.

You will need to download from Microsoft a Win 98Se Supplement, it's called 4756US8.exe. Disable your anti-virus before running it. I have it on a floppy if you want me to email it to you.

I assume that you have read the 3 FAQs on this forum, looked at the other threads of 100 or so helpful posts, run a google search for the loads of information out on the net, installed the patch from microsoft, then said "to hell with it" and installed the desktop shutdown file.
Or is that assuming too much?

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Yep. You need the Microsoft shut down patch. Get with the program, it has been mentioned several times on this site.Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back