Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win98se NotePad?? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

rs72640

Technical User
Jan 25, 2003
US
My bitter-half ;-) read some-where on the net, that win98se's notepad was open to some kind of virus. Well, she deleted all notepad files in win. So, I looked & found all kinds of free replacements(NotesPad.exe)..the install's all point you to win's notepad.exe--which we no longer have... how do I do a straight install(w/o notepad.exe) or how would I re-install win's notepad?

Go to START -> SETTINGS -> CONTROL PANEL -> ADD \ REMOVE PROGRAMS

The second tab (can't remember what its called now) should list all the 'Windows' programs already installed (media player, calculator, paint etc). I think Notepad comes under accessories - just tick it again and select apply. You may be asked for your Windows 98 CD but you should be able to get away with pointing it to c:\windows\options\cabs.

Been there, unless notepad is part of wordpad,it being the closest to notepad on the list--?

Did you try removing the accessories, then reinstalling them?

I tried removing & then re-installing, & still can't find the NotePad.exe file--

rs72640:

In Win98se you can run SFC and extract the following files to the C:\Windows\Help folder.

Notepad.chm located in Win98_24.cab
Notepad.cnt located in Win98_25.cab
Notepad.hlp located in Win98_49.cab

Then extract the Notepad.exe in Win98_46.cab to the C:\Windows folder.

For some reason I couldn't get it to work using SFC,instead I put in the cd & went to Win Explorer,opened Win98 file, lo-and behold there were all the files(inc. all the 1's you mentioned), while there I rt. clicked the first file & the 2nd command line was "extract to--" then proceeded to follow your expert directions..everything did just like you said &(HAPPILY) we have Notepad back-- in the meantime I found out that as long as you have a decent firewall & virus program, one doesn't have to worry,,THANKS AGAIN for your help......:cool:

i once replaced notepad completely and replaced it with notespad (brilliant prog by the way) later i needed notepad again and i just copied it from a friend and put it back into C:\WINDOWS. if thats the prob, here you go:

to relink .txt files with notepad go in the win explorer:
View => Folder Options => File types
1. scroll down to text document and select it
2. click edit
3. select open
4. paste the filepath of notepad (C:\WINDOWS\NOTEPAD.EXE) into the line below "Application used to perform action"

Repeat steps 1 - 4 for all files you want to be opened or edited with notepad...

Let me know if this solved your problem!

"Sharing knowledge is a way of achieving immortality"

NEWBUDDA--- Thanks for the info, now that things are back to normal(?) I'll use the info next time around---

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back