Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win98se Networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anewayz

Technical User
Oct 31, 2001
DE
I am trying to connect 2 Win98se machines together using a crossover cable. I setup both for Client for Microsoft Networks. After rebooting on one computer it asks for computer name and pw. I hit okay and it logs on and I am able to see that computer in its network neighborhood. Unfortunatley, on the other Win98se computer when I reboot, it asks for Name, PW, and Domain? Which I am unable to log into. In order to get back into windows i have to use step by step configuration. My only thought is that the box was checked for logon validation (log on to windows NT domain), but it's not. This computer does have a dual boot with Win2K Server, but should not be a conflict.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas how to make this log on correct? I have tried removing the client and re-installing, but that doesn't work either. It still asks for a Domain? The only differance between the 2 computers in the, was that the one that does not work was originally setup using Microsoft Family Logon. And the one that works wasn't.

What options do you have loaded in networking? You need the hardware adapter(ethernet card), netbeui,tcp/ip,file and print sharing for microsoft networks. Under Identification make sure computer name is unique and workgroup is the same on both computers. On the computer on which you want to share the hard drive go to my computer and right click on the hard drive you want to share. Select sharing and specify a name and access rights (full, read only, etc). In network neighborhood (after rebooting both computers) you should see both computers. If you don't see both try "find", "computer", and specify computer name you entered in Identification. In network neighborhood if you see both computers from the slave, double click on the name of the computer with the shared drive. The name chosen for sharing should appear and by right clicking on the name you can map the drive. Print sharing can be done in a similar way. Both computers can have shared drives and printers that can be shared by the other.

ejsully

Thanx for the suggestions!! Here's the scope...

I have Client for Microsoft Networks, My 3com ethernet adapter, NetBeui for the ethernet card, TCP/IP for the ethernet card, and File and Print sharing. Computer name is Unique and the workgroup is the same.

I am not able to get any further than this. When I select Client for Microsoft Networks as my primary Network Logon and then restart the computer.... it asks for my user name, password, and domain. Even though the box for Logon validation is not checked in the Client for MS Networks.

I have tried taking the network card out,completely uninstalling and reinstalling the network card, protocols and adapter. Still no luck. For some reason the computer thinks there is a domain, when there isn't.

A peer network does not have a signon. You can change your primary logon to windows and still share files and printing. Make sure your crossover cable is wired correctly. You should have a green light on each of the network cards. Try the find computer function described in the last answer.

EJSully

Well, I know the network card and crossover cable are just fine because, I can switch to the other boot of Win2K server and network the computers just fine.

For some reason, even with just a regular windows sign on, I am not able to network with this Win98se machine. When I double click on Network Neighborhood, nothing shows up. The computer doesn't even recognize itself. When I click on Entire network, I get the error message: network is not accessible. Telling me that the computer doesn't even recognize itself as belonging to a Workgroup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back