Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win98SE, my computer locks up on web sites with .mid files

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstarcevich

Technical User
Dec 18, 2000
US
Hi,
I have a problem I am trying to solve. I upgraded to win98 SE a few months ago. Sometime after that, my computer began to lock up whenever I went to a website that had an embedded .mid or .wav file. It just locks up and I have to shut down and restart. I have tried different browsers, but that makes no difference; I have installed and uninstalled windows media player and realplayer, that did not seem to make any difference. I am able to open and play .mid and .wav files in realplayer. It's very frustrating and I'm hoping one of you is familiar with this problem and can offer me some insight.

Thanks,

Judy

waterlab@muscanet.com
star@muscanet.com

gonna need more info.
Make=
Model=
CPU=
MEMory=
OS=
ISP=
Modem?

sorry I didn't include more info before:

This is not a name brand pc, but a system I have put together over the past 2 years. I have a 300 mhz celeron, EPOX motherboard, 96 meg RAM, 2 hard drives, a 3com network card and a cisco external modem (dsl), voodoo 3000 agp video card, yamaha 16 bit sound card (I am planning on replacing this soon), windows 98 second edition, isp is muscanet (DSL). The only thing I can recall changing before the problem started was to upgrade to win 98 second edition; also I installed an updated yamaha driver for the sound card. Thanks for helping with this, if you need more info let me know:)

Which programme is associated with .mid & .wav flies? IF is real player for example, try associating with another such as winamp or musicmatch etc. I found windows media player to be a dog..... a pretty dog but still a dog. Does your PC play these files when not on the net? If it does, then your problem lays with the streaming.

right now realplayer is associated with .mi and .wav files. I can play these files when not on the net. I can also go to crescendo sites with no problem. The problem seems to be with .mid and .wav files that are embedded in a website (ie. with "bgsound" tag).

OK,

Your mem and cpu are good. Im guessing between the two HD's you have pleanty of space and not doing the virtual memory boogie on me.
The sound card is 16 bit and i imagine you're using fat32 on the HD along with 98 but shouldnt affect net audio files. Use the local win media. There is an upgrade for this:

Try this first

I downloaded win media player 7 and installed it, made it default player for .mid and .wav files. I still had the same problem with the web sites and when I tried to use the media player itself my computer locked up and I had to restart. I did this several times before I uninstalled win media player. Judy Starcevich

I corrected my problem last night. I found a plug in for my yamaha sound card. After installing and restarting my computer, I was able to go the sites that I was previously unable to go to. Thanks to everyone who responded. Hopefully this thread will be helpful for someone else who experiences this problem:)
Judy Starcevich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back