Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win98SE; folder opens upon boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rrrbt202

Technical User
Dec 4, 2002
US
While my Windows98SE PC is booting, just before all the icons finish loading in the system tray, A folder opens on the desk top. The particular folder is in the root of C and is empty. (C:\Programs). I tried deleting the folder and it comes back when I reboot. There is nothing in MSConfig that I can find that relates to this folder path.
Autoexec.bat is empty. I have gone into the registry and looked in the run folders and cannot find anything that would cause a folder to open on the desktop. I actually picked through most of the registry to find any possible reason that a folder is opening on the desktop. There is nothing in the start folder.
The startup tab in MSConfig has been cleaned of all except necessary files.

All critical updates have been applied.
Is there any way to check the programming of the MBR?
Anyone seen this odd situation before? What other possible avenues could I check?
Thanks in advance.

A situation in which this occurs most is when a program want to (auto)start but has been deleted.
Maybe it is not in the msconfig part, but you could check win.ini and/or system.ini for load= and run= lines.
Again, double check your autoexec

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Find the folder in "C" drive and delete it. It can't start then can it?

I checked Win.ini, system.ini and autoexec.bat and couldn't find any unknown bootup directions. When I delete the folder in the C drive, the whole folder comes back when I reboot. The only time I've ever seen that happen is if the command is in the registry. This is why I went through most of the registry line by line and also used the search function in the registry.

Download and install these free...it'll isolate the offender
Startup monitor will catch it trying to load and then when you say no, it'll get put in the deleted section of startup control panel, from there you can delete...

and/or you could run Hijack This! and StartupList

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

Go into your system config utitlity. "MSCONFIG" from start menu | run. Click the System.INI tab in MSCONFIG and search for anything that has...

SHELL=Explorer.exe C:\the\folder\that\opens\boot

obviously, substitute C:\the\folder\that\opens\boot for the folder that always opens during boot up.

In the System.ini file......the "only thing written" /listed under shell= is;
[Boot]
Shell=Explorer.exe

Nothing else

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back