Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win98SE Clean Install?

Status
Not open for further replies.

winzip

Programmer
Nov 6, 2001
US
I just bought a refurbished laptop; the hard drive is empty except for the COMMAND.COM file and when I boot, it goes to the command prompt and displays on the top that the system is Windows 95. Right now I don't think it recognizes the CD-ROM drive, but I'm sure with the right boot disk I can get to that CD-ROM drive.

How can I install a Windows 98 SE on this laptop? Can I use any Win98SE CD-ROM?

The laptop is a Toshiba 490XCDT Pentium II 266 MHz with 64MB RAM (I think) and a 4GB (?) hard drive.

Thanks!

winzip

You can Boot from a Full 98 CD, if you have a new licensed copy for it.
If the boot does not work, you can always load the DOS drivers for the CD and run setup from the CD drive then.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

If you can get it to boot from the CD (BIOS setting) it should go OK.
Otherwise a matter of a 98 bootdisk and hope the drivers work.
Or as a last resort, the 98 bootdisk with Toshiba drivers from their website added to your bootdisk.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I have a similar laptop, as soon as you switch on the laptop, and see the toshiba screen keep pressing control + esc, you will get a message asking you to press F1 to enter setup, do this and make the system to boot from the CDROM by changing this in the boot priority option, choose CDROM-HDD-FDD. Put the win98se cd and boot from it.

If the CD is not bootable, then get a Win98 startup disk, change the boot priority in the Bios to FDD-HDD-CDROM and boot from the floppy, and choose boot system with CDROM support, then access the cddrive and start the windows install procedure

Thanks everybody! I will try your suggestions today and let you know the results.

winzip

Hi everyone,

Booting from the Win98 CD didn't work so I downloaded a Win98 bootdisk from a website. It boots with the option of having a CD-ROM drive, and from there, I ran the setup program. It worked OK, now I have Windows 98 SE on my refurbished laptop.

Thanks for all the tips - I really appreciate all the input!

winzip

Marcs41,

Can you change the boot sequence w/o access to the BIOS?

Mark

No problem, just with the fresh thread you'll get more help. Some people won't look after 4 or 5 repies.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back