Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WIN98E refuses to boot when attached to Linksys 54g router

Status
Not open for further replies.

bumblebeast

Technical User
Dec 17, 2003
US
I recently installed the Wireless 54G router. Both my WINXP Pro and WINXP Home PCs work fine. However, my WIN98 SE PC will not boot with the Ethernet cable inserted in the Ethernet jack. On removing the cable, the WIN98 PC boots fine.

If I run the Ethernet cable from my cable modem directly to the WIN98 PC it boots fine and accesses the internet.

Per Linksys support, ran winipcfg. Was able to release all, but got an error on renew all, unable to connect with DHCP server. Don't see Linksys being much more helpful.

Then I tried to run the router setup CD from the WIN98 PC, but at the step where you connect the PC to router, and router to cable modem, the software reports it is unable to find the router. Seems the PC and router do not 'see' each other.

The nic is a 3Com fast etherlink 10/100 card, and appears to be running at 100 per LED on card. Configured for full duplex.

Have Zonealarm on the PC, though it's disabled. Concerned that there are a number of posts here with WiFi/WIN98 issues, HAS ANYBODY GOTTEN IT TO WORK.

Your Win98SE machine is looking for a domain server.

Change the system properties for Workgroup.

"refuses to boot" as in....just sits there with a black monitor, no POST, beeps, or anything?

If that's the case, it must be a hardware problem. Check/replace the cable. If it boots OK with this same cable connected direclty to the modem, I would suspect a short in the ethernet jack of the router. Look closely at the contacts in the jack to make sure they are not bent or touching.

Thanks Smah - but you're barking up the wrong tree, I've ruled this out already.

The WIN98 box gets as far as the WIndows splashscreen, and that's it. The port in the rouiter, hooked to an XP box, works fine.

Not for nothing, I'm thinking of adding a new harddrive, installing XP, making it the master/boot HD, and moving the WIN98 HD to the slave position.

bcastner -

Can now boot the win98 box, ran the Winsockfix program.

However, cannot access internet. Went back to the Linksys suggestion of running winipcng, but on clicking release all then renew all, get a dhcp server error message still.

Any thoughts?

Oh, and Happy Holidays to all.

Set a static IP. There are several programs that can interfere with DHCP, the most often I see is where Norton Antivirus has been uninstalled.

To set a static ip go to the TCP/IP Properties sheet of the ethernet board, set (assuming the Linksys is at default settings)

IP: 192.168.1.250
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.1.1

Then add a DNS server:

Seems to be getting closer, put in the addresses, rebooted, clicked IE, it looked like it was going to load my homepage for a long moment, but then errored-out as unable to find the page.

Not for nothing, after I entered the addresses, I was prompted for the WIN98 disk, in order to install the file PROTMAN.DOS. However, neither my disk, or 'C' drive appear to contain this file.

NET7.CAB

But this I believe is only used if you intend to do networking under DOS and not Windows.

Thanks, still no soap. Now the router seems to have lost the ability to access the internet.

Success!

Took awhile, but here's the final summary. With bcastner's help I was able to get the WIN98 box to boot, but still not connect to router. So, contacted Linksys one more time, and they suggested knocking back the speed to my nic to 10mb, half duplex.

Did it, changed config back to DHCP from static IP, ran winipconfig, release all, renew all, and it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back